Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 71

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Twin Ultra Drain and Refill Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
According to its previous owner, my '55 Twin Ultramatic was rebuilt sometime in the past and thankfully, it operates like a well rebuilt unit. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of the specifics of the rebuild and now that the time to refresh the fluid and clean the screen/pan has arrived I'm not sure what trans fluid to use. I'm inclined to try TrickShift Type F to attempt to quell the lock-up groaning that occurs when it's still cold but I'm concerned that it may not play nice if the friction material used in the rebuild is of a more modern material. If any of you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Like I said, the tranny behaves nicely (at least as far as TwinUltras are concerned) and I'd like to keep it that way.

Also, the manual says to re-fill 11qts. of fluid and then top off using the dipstick as a gauge. For those that have done this service, how much total fluid will I need? I'm guessing that 3 gallons should do it but would rather avoid a surprise in the middle of the job.

Thanks
SG

Posted on: 5/2 17:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Twin Ultra Drain and Refill Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Since you don't know the fluid, I would remove the pan and clean it, and you can also drain the converter separately per the instructions in the manual (in the Ultramatic removal from car section).

I think standard Type F would work fine. Just makes the shifts and lock up feel not as "smooth" as maybe Dexron.

Additional instructions in the manual for the amount of fluid to add, then start the engine to fill the converter, then add the rest.

Posted on: 5/2 18:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved