Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
255 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 255

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Have things mostly together on the 40 super. Went to put the carburetor on the intake manifold as I have done probably fifty times over the years, it sits too low. In other words the bolt studs protrude through the carburetor base holes too far. They now hit the top of the base, not allowing the carburetor to fully seat. As stated before getting senile in my old age, but don't think there was ever a spacer in place???? Just the gasket. In order to get it back to the correct height would need to use around four thick intake/carburetor gaskets, or? I could pull out each stud and grind down? What am I missing here? So embarrassed!

Posted on: 5/18 12:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On most engines there is a phenolic or fiber spacer under the carb which is used as a heat insulator. On the Clippers with 356 engine it is black, 3/8 thick, and shaped like the gasket but also uses a regular gasket on either side of the spacer.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/18 13:35
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you. The only thing I can think of is I never took it off when doing a carburetor rebuild. But, when I took the intake and exhaust manifolds to be machined for the in and out ports, they pulled it off or it came off after around fifty years? My next question is, does anyone have one for sale? Are they sold by the usual suppliers? Do I need to make one from? Thanks

Posted on: 5/18 13:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Pretty sure I have one left NOS. It'll be Monday before I can confirm.

Posted on: 5/18 13:57
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Sounds good. Thank you, let me know. Here or tolandis@yahoo.com, or text me 661-492-5551.

Posted on: 5/18 14:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved