Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
274 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 273

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing setting on 48-288 engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I’m still fighting the overheating.
When setting the timing mark, after removing the vacuum advance line, where should the timing mark be relative to the pointer?
Should it be after the mark by 2-4 degrees? When I rotate the distributed past the pointer a little, the engine idle does slow a bit and sounds better.

Posted on: 5/30 8:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing setting on 48-288 engine
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The pointer should point to 6 to 8 degrees before top dead center on the balancer.

Posted on: 5/31 7:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
Try installing a shutoff valve on the heater hose return line that goes the water pump. This line has hot coolant that bypasses the radiator.

Attach file:

jpg  thumbnail (4).jpg (25.66 KB)
226248_6659defbaf46e.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 5/31 9:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
On my 49 Standard Eight, with a 288, I have been fighting an overheat issue as well. Thus far I have replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, fan belt, head gasket, installed a 12vdc pusher fan powered by a separate battery, installed a heater hose shutoff valve and an aftermarket temperature gauge. The shutoff valve has made the most improvement in the stop and go traffic temperature readings.

Posted on: 5/31 9:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved