Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
275 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 274

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44)

Re: Don’s 1937 (120) 138CD Deluxe Touring Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
The evaporust was in for several days. During that time, I drove it a number of times and made sure it was up to temp for a least 30 minutes each time.

Posted on: 6/16 10:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Looks like you got a good amount of gunk out. My car also runs just under 180 most of the time, so I think you’re in good shape!

As far as the shifting goes, I’ve found if I’m in 3rd gear by the time I’m going 20, I can just leave it there until I have to come to a dead stop. I generally don’t even downshift to second, just come to a stop then put it in first when it’s time to take off. I’ve found if I’m rolling 5 mph or faster, I just leave it in 3rd and ease into the throttle! I do downshift to second if I’m slowing down on a downhill, and don’t want to ride the brakes too much. I also drained the transmission and refilled with GL-1 mineral oil (I got mine from Napa) and that made a huge difference in how my transmission shifted, and sounded.

Posted on: 6/16 11:24
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation. Project blog / Registry

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015 Project blog / Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks everyone. Based on the responses, my car is shifting just as it should. It does in fact go into 1st just as it should if I leave it in gear when I come to a complete stop. Shifting down though 2nd and then to 1st also works quite well.

In this case, the car was good. I just needed to learn to drive it correctly!

Posted on: 6/16 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
The next “project” for my car is new front coil springs. I’m just waiting for them to arrive. While I’m at it, I will also replace the lower support arm bushings and I want to replace the center steering crank bearing. It makes sense to do that at the same time as the springs.

Can someone tell me a modern part number for the center steering crank bearing? I’d like to have it on hand before we get started.

Posted on: 6/17 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You’ll probably find wear on the shaft too so probably best to check one of the dealers for a kit. I recall for 1940 that the shaft was a bolt so when rebuilding mine, I made the bushings and replaced the bolt.

Posted on: 6/17 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
The bearing and pin appear to be sold separately, not as a kit. I can get the pin. I was just hoping to not spend $55 for the bearing. I’m guessing they are marking that up a bit.

Posted on: 6/17 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Don, I used a NAPA 6203-FFA on my center steering link bearing. The post where I describe the work is linked here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&post_id=176163#forumpost176163

Posted on: 6/17 15:14
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation. Project blog / Registry

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015 Project blog / Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Ken

Posted on: 6/17 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I took the car for my first ever local Cruise Night and got Mom and Dad to go as well. I think Dad really enjoyed talking to people about the car. We had a lot of people interested and they loved Mom and Dad’s history with the car.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/21 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
That is awesome! I love everything about that. So glad you can share that with him!

Posted on: 6/22 9:36

Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved