Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 130

Guscha, Fibonachu, Donald Keller, Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fan belt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I would like to replace my fan belt as the old one is as tight as I can get it. It is at the limit of the adjustment of the generator away from the engine. This site calls for Napa NBH 2524489 as a replacement.
Can I assume that a new belt from NAPA would be a little shorter because of stretching ?
OR
Do I need to find a shorter belt with the same width?

Is it a difficult job to replace, any tips.

23rd Series with 288 Deluxe Eight.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 6/29 8:17
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan belt
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Your old belt is probably worn as much as stretched
I'd take the old belt off and compare it to the new one that is supposed to fit. The new one may not be much shorter, if any, but it should not be any longer. A new belt of the correct width and profile will ride higher in all three pulley grooves, which has the effect of shortening it.

Posted on: 6/29 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I just replaced the fan belt on my 53 Cavalier and used the part number from the cross reference list and it was correct. I think the list is pretty good.

Like TxGoat suggested, the new belt may not be that much shorter, but shouldn't be longer. I suspect you'll find it's a bit thicker and maybe just a little shorter.

It's a simple job to replace your belt. You want to have a good belt as there is only one, and it runs your cooling and charging system, you're stuck without it.

Loosen the bolt on the adjuster, and the two where the generator is mounted to the engine. Lift your generator so you can get the old belt off. Be careful to not damage your radiator fins when loosening bolts. Also be gentle with your wiring when moving your generator, particularly if it is original.

Put your new fan belt on, tighten to the correct tensions and tighten your bolts. As noted, too tight is not good.

After a couple of drives give it a quick double check to make sure it's still the correct tension and then check it periodically after that. A fan belt with the correct tension will last longer than one that's too loose, or too tight.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/29 10:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also make sure you get the correct width belt. It should ride on the sides of the pulley and not bottom out in the pulley.

If your belt is too narrow it will also appear to be too long as well.

Posted on: 6/29 14:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved