Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Leaf Spring Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
My 53 Cavalier sits a bit low on the rear driver's corner, which I'm pretty sure is caused by that deck of springs. Maybe just a bit soft, maybe a broken leaf, not sure, but time to pull them and see what's going on and get the care nice and level before any body work and a front end alignment happen.

The service manual does not mention the need for removing the fuel tank, but the driver's side shackle seems like it won't come out with the fuel tank in the way, like the shackle should be installed the opposite direction with the nuts to the inside like the passenger's side.

Thoughts? Should I be prepared to drop the fuel tank as well?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/23 13:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Leaf Spring Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Dropping the tank is not hard. Siphon out the gas. Disconnect the line. Disconnect the vent hose. Then just 2 T-bolts. Have a 3/8" wrench handy for the fuel sender nut. That's it. 😉

Posted on: 6/23 15:25
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Yep, removing and cleaning the tank was one of my first projects when I got the car. I thought maybe I was missing something, happens sometimes.

Posted on: 6/23 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
That being said, couldn't you remove the nuts and the outboard plate, and slide the spring/bushing off the bolt?

Posted on: 6/23 16:21
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Oh boy, I would say you are correct! Nothing like a little over-thinking to over-complicate a project! LOL

Posted on: 6/23 16:42
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I finally decided to tackle my leaf springs to see if I could fix the rear drivers side which is sitting a bit low. I started pulling things apart and right away I found that the smaller leaf is broken. All excited thinking I found the problem, I went and robbed one from my parts car, cleaned everything up, gave things a coat of paint, put everything back together, and...............it's the same. Well that's disappointing....

Maybe that broken leaf is only a symptom of another problem, such as a weak leaf or maybe more than one. Maybe I'll pull it apart again and see how they compare to the ones on the parts car. Maybe I can swap all but the main leaf and cure the sag??? Maybe I should swap the leaves from the passenger side to the drivers side? Or maybe I'll take both decks off and take them to the spring shop....

More adventures coming soon!

Posted on: 7/1 1:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd take both springs to a spring shop, if you're lucky enough to have one, or put new ones on.
You could probably mix and match leaves from the parts car on both sides and get it fairly level, but it might be more trouble than it's worth, and you'd still have weak springs. Measure between the axle and the rubber bumper on the frame with the full weight on the springs and the car parked on a level surface. I would also spray both springs with a lubricant, like Micromist. Old springs can get stiff with dirt and rust. Grease the front suspension, too, and look for any evidence of spring issues there. Also be sure that the U-bolts that hold the rear springs to the axle are tightened evenly and to the correct torque. How tight the U-bolts are can affect ride height. Be sure tires match.

Getting the rear springs in order will probably show the front springs to be sagged. Replacements are available. Good springs and shocks will go a long way toward restoring ride and handling.

Posted on: 7/1 7:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I got the '54 Clipper, its rear was saggy, and I would always scrap the tailpipe when pulling out of the driveway at a previous house.

I installed a pair of $50 Helper Leaf Springs and that brought everything back up to the correct height. The great thing about those as they install without taking any of the rear suspension apart.

As far as correct replacements, I think they can be ordered from Eaton.

Posted on: 7/1 9:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I'd take both springs to a spring shop, if you're lucky enough to have one, or put new ones on.
You could probably mix and match leaves from the parts car on both sides and get it fairly level, but it might be more trouble than it's worth, and you'd still have weak springs. Measure between the axle and the rubber bumper on the frame with the full weight on the springs and the car parked on a level surface. I would also spray both springs with a lubricant, like Micromist. Old springs can get stiff with dirt and rust. Grease the front suspension, too, and look for any evidence of spring issues there. Also be sure that the U-bolts that hold the rear springs to the axle are tightened evenly and to the correct torque. How tight the U-bolts are can affect ride height. Be sure tires match.

Getting the rear springs in order will probably show the front springs to be sagged. Replacements are available. Good springs and shocks will go a long way toward restoring ride and handling.

We have a great spring shop in Calgary that has been around longer than my car! I may end up taking both spring packs to them and getting them to sort them out.

The parts car is already apart, so I'll go rob the other leaves and see what they look like compared to mine. The car is sitting at the correct height, except this corner, so if I can get this sorted I should be good to go.

Working on my car is always more trouble than it's worth, but it's never more trouble than it's worth to me! Even if I do the exact same work that someone else would do, it will ride better if I do the work myself.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Posted on: 7/1 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Look for any evidence of a bent frame, and check that the rear bumper is aligned correctly with the body. A bent frame is very unlikely but is a possibility.

Posted on: 7/1 10:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved