Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
37 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 36

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Drifting air fuel adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
OK, so here’s the story.
37 Packard 115 C.
Stock carburetor.
I have a constant issue with the air fuel idle mixture screw drifting. This causes over fuel condition, rough running, etc.
In the picture was my fix.
Does anyone have other suggestions on how to keep the needle valve screw from adjusting out.
This usually happens after I’ve driven the car and parked it and let it cool down.
The car started right up at the garage. Ran great until I got about 2 miles from our dinner stop..
When I parked I turned the screw about an eighth of a turn, maybe like a 16th into the lean and the car idle right out.
It ran ok back to the house and then t turned about 1/8 turn lean and it smoothed out , better than the parking lot adjustment.
Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2544.jpeg (2,332.41 KB)
155070_66902600aadeb.jpeg 4032X3024 px

jpeg  IMG_2545.jpeg (4,286.95 KB)
155070_66902621991b1.jpeg 5712X4284 px

Posted on: Today 13:46
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

Re: Drifting air fuel adjustment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if a couple of external tooth star or serrated lockwashers would provide enough grab to keep vibration under control. One at the carb between spring and base and the other at the screw head might bite into the spring and each surface to hold it in position. If that would not work perhaps a small dab of gas resistant glyptal or varnish at the threads would seep in just enough to lock it down but would still "crack" open to allow future adjustment.

Posted on: Today 14:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Drifting air fuel adjustment
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Kulp
See User information
What carb are you using,a Stromberg? The way you have the safety wire will tend to open or richen if there is any flexing of the vacuum line,that it is tied to. The original factory carb was CHandler-Groves or later known as Holley.The original factory replacement was WA1 Carter. Even though the C-G carb was said to be bad,I have known two 115C owners who used the C-G carb with no problems.

Posted on: Today 15:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved