Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Packard51, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Grumble on pull
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I was riding in and driving a friend's 55 (with TU) yesterday and he was complaining there was a growl/grumble noise at various times. For example, it was very noticeable when I was going about 50 and up a bit of a hill, so I was on the gas a little. Hitting the gas even harder, OR laying off the gas, silenced the noise, but it was very audible in certain cases, though never loud.

He said it started after he had the Ultramatic rebuilt but to me it doesn't really sound like that type of noise, and it's most noticeable at higher speeds when the trans is in high/direct. So i think it may be coincidental. My vote is rear axle.

Thoughts?

Posted on: Today 7:27
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Grumble on pull
Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
The caribbean does that every now and then. I believe it is the transmission in my case. Typically I have to lay off the throttle then slowly get back on it to get it and keep that noise away.

Posted on: Today 9:10
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It could be many things. I'd look for any evidence of an exhaust leak, and any evidence of any part of the exhaust system contacting the frame when the engine is under load, or any exhaust system hanger problems or modifications. Loose baffles in a muffler can cause strange effects. U-joint issues can cause noise or vibration or both. Wear, improper assembly, or lack of lubrication are some things to look at relating to U-joints, slip yokes, etc. Another area to check carefully is engine mounts and transmission mounts. I'd look at body mounts too, and check all engine accessory mountings and belts. Anything loose anywhere in the car, including the spare tire, jack, etc can make odd sounds under some operating conditions. In one unusual case, a small dent in the air cleaner housing caused a moaning sound at a certain speed. I'd check the rear axle lube, attachment hardware, shackle bushings and shock mounts.
Tires can make odd noises, so checking tire pressure and wear patterns is a good idea. Some pavement surfaces cause noise, so drive on a variety of surfaces and see if the sound changes.

Posted on: Today 9:27
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks TXgoat for the suggestions.

CarFreak where does your noise actually sound like it's coming from? What speeds / situations does it occur?

Posted on: Today 10:03
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved