Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where is the backing lamp switch located on a '39 Packard Six?
Just popping in
Just popping in

greybeard
See User information
When I took delivery of my new '39 Packard Six Business Coupe, I noticed the backing lamps did not illuminate when the car was backed-out of the transporter. Reading the owner manual for a '38 Packard Six found on the packardinfo site, I noticed a reference on page 36 - the wiring diagram, that mentions the existence of a backing lamp switch. Anyone know where that switch might be located? There are several switches and knobs mounted on the lower front lip of the dash, that are not identified on page 14, the front view of the instrument board. Some of these switches and knobs look aftermarket. See attached photos. The 2 toggle switches on the left control the bumper-mounted running lights and electric fuel pump, respectively. The two dark colored controls that look a bit like maybe push-type, and the large tan control under the center dash are a mystery. I am reluctant to just start pushing buttons and find out the hard way they trigger the passenger ejection seat or something else not easily undone. Any insight would be appreciated.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Yesterday 19:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Where is the backing lamp switch located on a '39 Packard Six?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it was wired per factory and you have a full complement of lights, according to the section of this diagram showing some accessories the switch would have been to the extreme left of the panel rheostat and reading light switch. If you don't have the fog lights then maybe just left and next to the reading light switch. Since your car looks to have several non factory switches under the dash in non standard positions I think it will be a matter of just flipping a switch and seeing what works. Cannot speak to 39 but back up lights were optional on later years and could have been installed by a dealer long after the car was sold. When possible dealers would often mount switches per customer preference and not necessarily where the factory suggested.

If you cannot find an under dash switch, one possibility is later models had backup light switches operated automatically by the R-1 shift lever going into the reverse position. That is the bottom lever at the base of the steering column close to the steering box. The conventional body levers were differently shaped and positioned from Clipper levers so I don't know for sure what type bracket will mount but if an optional later light kit was installed by a dealer possibly something approximating the later switch was used too. You might look in that lower column area and see if there is any push plunger type switch that could be activated when the bottom lever is in the reverse position.

Here is a later type switch for reference as typically mounted on the Clipper and 22-23 series. If it was used on an earlier conventional body car not sure where or how it would be mounted on the column to be used with the different shaped shift levers.

Attach file:

jpg  39 six wiring.jpg (586.33 KB)
209_6699aff1b2c59.jpg 1673X990 px

jpeg  IMG_1334.jpeg (196.58 KB)
209_6699d896b0ef2.jpeg 800X600 px

jpg  backup sw.jpg (76.18 KB)
209_6699d8a1438cc.jpg 970X460 px

Posted on: Yesterday 19:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Where is the backing lamp switch located on a '39 Packard Six?
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Large tan one in the center looks like the control for the cowl vent at the base of the windshield

Posted on: Yesterday 19:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved