Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 288 - Head and Manifolds - Nut and Washer Grades
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Bottom Line Up Front: Can I use grade 5 washers and grade 8 nuts for the head and manifolds?

I have removed the head and manifolds. They have been sandblasted and will be resurfaced, primed (2000 degree) and painted (1600 degree). Since the nuts and washers will not be painted I'm thinking of using black oxide (900 degree). In black oxide, I have found grade 8 nuts but only grade 5 washers.

Posted on: Yesterday 17:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 288 - Head and Manifolds - Nut and Washer Grades
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I don't know.

But, Max Merritt has head nuts and washers. They also have studs in case you have any that are damaged.

Posted on: Yesterday 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The engine probably has rolled threads where the studs go into the block so important to not run a tap into the holes or use modern over the counter studs. As for nuts and washers, Grade 8 wouldn't hurt but might be overkill and finding them with the 3/4" hex might be difficult as it's not a standard size for that thread as far as I recall. I think 11/16" is the standard size.

Posted on: Yesterday 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Regarding Max Merritt, I'm expecting their hardware will need to be painted but I'll ask. I'm not going to paint the nuts/washers after I install the head. I don't think I want SST either.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The head bolts and nuts were painted at the factory and to me they look better that way. Your choice, though.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I've found that the flat-to-flat is 11/16" but I don't see that as a problem. The height is 3/8" which matches what was on it. I thought about using a taller nut to offset the diameter but that's limited by the stud length.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The contact area is too small for cast iron even with washers so you really do need the 3/4" hex which is the reason it was used originally. 11/16" is all that I can find too so if you buy from Merritt, be sure to ask which theirs is! Tuscon Packards might have them too (possibly for a lower price) and I know they have the studs. Again, the studs have rolled threads where they go into the block so important which end goes in and which goes out and also important not to run a tap into the threads in the block.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved