Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I am curious about the rear glass replacement for Packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Orange-Lark
See User information
My windshield has a crack but this would be an easy fix. Those are readily available. One side window has a tiny crack, but I will leave it as is, unless the crack gets larger. Either way, it won't be hard because side window has flat glass and glass can be cut to fit.

I am curious about those one model year only curvy rear glass, what if they need replacement. Does the glass have to be specifically made for the car, or they are still in stock somewhere? For example, 1951-1954 Packard junior/senior had different curvy glass on the back, often with changes on the roofline, and occasionally with changes in split (53 senior cars seemed to have split rear glass while 54 had one piece), this is a nightmare situation for parts interchangeability and availability.

I wonder how owners replace the broken glass in this situation

Posted on: 7/31 22:41
 Top  Print   

Re: I am curious about the rear glass replacement for Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No reproductions on those back glass pieces but so far still plenty used ones to be found. I have a spare pair of the senior wrap-around pieces from 1952 and, of course the dealers have far more.

Posted on: Yesterday 2:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rear windows don't get damaged anywhere near the rate of front ones do. With the number of sad decaying part cars laying around, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to find one with a good piece of glass to donate.

Posted on: Yesterday 6:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Orange-Lark
See User information
I am crossing my fingers on the donor cars. With only ~3000 Cavaliers and ~3000 Patricians made, that is only less than 6000 pieces of such glass when new. That is a relatively scarce source to start with. Time to hope they never crack, otherwise it wouldn't be too easy.

(might be a bridge to cross if comes to it! I will take my time on the windshield first.)

Posted on: Yesterday 20:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Orange-Lark
See User information
That's good to know. At least it doesn't cost an arm and leg to buy.

I wonder which dealers they are. Glass shops, or those dealers specializing the antique car glass? I am buying mine from vendio, and green tinted seems to go well with the car.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
The back window on my 53 Cavalier is like new. If it looks this good after 71 years, I don't expect there will ever be a need to replace it. And to make sure it doesn't get chipped or cracked, I don't go over 40 when backing up.

My windshield had been hit by something significant and was a mess on the passenger side. I found some people selling a 53 Patrician that had a good used windshield just sitting inside the car. I wanted to buy just the windshield, but they wanted the whole car gone, so I ended up buying the car to get the windshield. But the parts car has come to the rescue a few times, and now I have an extra rear window if I ever need it. Apparently the motor and transmission were working well before it was parked about 12 years ago, so I have spares of those too.

Posted on: Today 1:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Orange-Lark
See User information
Life can be unpredictable, I tend to worry a bit. (and those older glasses don't have the black lines on the edge, making them more likely to suffer cracks under extreme heat like on a hot summer day) Of course under ordinary situations, they rarely get damaged, but it is hard to predict what might happen.

That was a lot to buy for a windshield but gladly the rest of the car became useful soon afterwards! (I just have too many cars to spare any space. A Miata NB, my daily Solara, a '95 Cadillac Fleetwood base my Packard is supposed to replace after endless legal disputes with all of big three, plus a '36 Chevy no one wants to buy! And I live in a cold area so all the cars except the daily one needs a garage space)

Powertrain of those cars seems to be quite robust, but parts availability surely gets tight after all those years (just like almost all cars without reproduction parts. While British Motor Heritage almost makes enough to build brand new cars! I hope parts availability gets half as good like that)

Posted on: Today 2:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved