Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 50

Packwagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater Hose
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I just replaced the fuel line from the pump to the carb because it was copper, rather than steel, and as I discovered it was not the correct shape. And, as you can see in the below picture the heater hose from the pump to the heater core is not correct. (I've moved it, it was even worse, it had been mounted on the other side of the fan motor.) Presumably the hose had been cut and was too short to follow the correct path.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I checked the service manual for how the hose should look, and now the heater hose is correct. (Actually I'm just a bit long, I'll correct that when I do the other two lines.) There is something oddly satisfying about changing things so they are just the way Packard did them in 53. I also got rid of those horrible looking screw hose clamps and used the original Corbin style.

I replaced the fitting on the pump as the original was a bit corroded. (Thanks Don!) The inlet on the heater core cleaned up well and looks brand new!

At this point I have only done this one hose, and while I don't foresee there being any issues, I'm going to run this for a while before I change the other two.

There is quite a bit of talk online about constant tension clamps being better than the screw hose clamps. But I suspect the flat ones are better than that wire ones, but gotta go original!

Posted on: Today 13:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater Hose
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It all looks great! I would like to get a connector for the pump but prefer the original style which wasn’t barbed. I found a reproduction for the one in my Imperial which is similar but it’s quite a bit longer so still looking. That aside, you’ve done wonders on your car and glad to see you’re trying to keep everything as original as possible!

Posted on: Today 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Yeah, I wasn't able to find the original style. There were these hydraulic fittings, but the portion of the fitting that you can see was less original looking than the one I did end up using.

Posted on: Today 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Dorman offers this one through Summit Racing. Is it close to the original or is the hex too thin?

Posted on: Today 14:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved