Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need advice
Just popping in
Just popping in

PER
See User information
I'm just getting started on a 1948 Super eight 4 door sedan w/120" wheelbase project car. This is a customers car that he purchased several years ago and wants to get it back on the road. It has not started since the mid 90's and was last driven in the 70's as the story goes. The body is super solid. The customer wants me to assess the mechanicals firstly and I'm wondering where is the best place to procure parts such as brakes, clutch, chassis and engine related parts? I have a ton of mechanical/automotive experience and have done mechanical restorations on several cars but not Packards. Thanks in advance for any Packard advice and direction!

Posted on: Today 15:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Need advice
Just popping in
Just popping in

Galahad
See User information
Greetings,

You will be pleased to find that there are a large number of suppliers for almost all the parts one would need. Kanter Auto Prouducts and Max Meritt Packard Parts are two large houses. Simply search the web for "Packard Parts" and those and others will turn up.

Best,
Michael

Posted on: Today 15:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Welcome! This is just my procedure, but I do a thorough disassembly and chart all the parts needed to complete the project to a given standard. You will find a large archive here on site of manuals and part books to enable you to determine the Packard part numbers for most all parts you are after. I then do up a full sheet of part number and part description to send to various vendors to see what is available.
The larger the order from any one vendor the lower the shipping cost, as multiple orders will drive up shipping and possibly import/export fees.
Also do not ignore your local jobbers. An amazing amount of ignition and suspension parts are still available the same place you may get your oil and filter for your new cars. At least with a comprehensive list they will know what you are after and can then determine if they can source it. Note there is a cross reference section in the Main Menu to the left of this window that gives you current part numbers for Packard parts.
I also dealt with specialty shops close to home for master/wheel cylinders, clutch components, carburetors, starters, powder coating, and a number of other items saving long wait times for parts otherwise coming from a great distance. You cannot beat face to face dealings, you will end up with wonderful service and very likely new friendships.
Use periodicals available for the old car hobby to source rebuilders too, ones may end up close by but unknown until you find their ads in these publications.
I treated it like a quest and had as much fun tracking down various holy grails as I have had driving the end result!
Wishing you a wonderful adventure resurrecting's the old girl!
Bob J.

Posted on: Today 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might also download the parts and service manuals from this site as those can be some help if you've never been into a Packard. If looking a part up in the manual or talking to a vendor about a part it helps to have the correct identifying details. Most mechanical parts and chassis items are listed in the manuals under a chassis designation. Most body and trim parts are listed under a body designation and can be a different item depending on model.

You will need to check the Vehicle Number on the cowl patent plate to be certain what you are working on because a 48 Super Eight sedan comes in a couple of versions depending upon whether it is a regular super eight or a deluxe super eight. The Deluxe has different trim and maybe some optional mechanical differences. There also might have been some running changes in the engine or sometimes elsewhere in the car that can be designated by suffix letters after the motor number and occasionally some type of symbol stamped near the motor number.

Here is the 48 model designations as listed in the 48-54 parts book.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 15:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I've owned, and been working on, my '53 Cavalier for the past year and a half and I am continually surprised/impressed by how well made Packards are. Meaning many components could be cleaned, lubricated, and put back into service. Also many items can be bought at your local parts store.

There is a good Parts Cross-Reference list on this site. As mentioned, Max Merritt and Kanter are good suppliers for Packard parts.

Posted on: Today 16:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved