Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '39 Packard Six - Seeking help with Carter WA-1 carb and sourcing ignition components
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There should be a hole of some sort in the manifold through which a tube is pressed. The tube from the choke sets into it, pulling through fresh that has been heated by the manifold. With it connected properly and the engine completely cold, the choke should just stay lightly closed when flipping it by hand a couple time and as the engine warms up, it should open until it is in the vertical position. Some people like to set it hot with it just vertical but I prefer to do it cold as I already described. I don't know how close a 1940 110 manifold is but I can go take a look at one later if it will help.

Posted on: Today 16:46
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard Six - Seeking help with Carter WA-1 carb and sourcing ignition components
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
You can easily make your own choke tube by picking up a pre-made length of brake line from Napa. They are easy to bend by hand and create the shape you want. Measure it out, then cut it to fit. The plain tube end gets pushed into the hole in the exhaust manifold. The threaded nut attaches to the choke assembly. That's it.

-Kevin

Posted on: Today 16:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Don and Kevin,
Thanks for the info on how the choke is supposed to properly operate, and how to make a heat tube. I have experience and tools for making brake lines, so it should be possible to make one for this purpose.

Posted on: Today 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had a look at a 1940 110 manifold and if yours is similar, you can look for the heat riser hole as indicated by the arrows but note that there is a plate that is supposed to cover one opening that is not installed on these photos. You’ll need to be sure that yours is intact. 1939 may be somewhat different but the same idea.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Brake line itself will work but the heat-riser does not use the same flare fitting. Instead it has a compression fitting,

Posted on: Today 19:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved