Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 50

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 7-45 Overheating After Radiator Replacement
Just popping in
Just popping in

David Billett
See User information
I had the radiator on my 745 rebuilt, and everything seemed to be fine after an initial run, the thermostatically controlled louvers on the winter front opened, all seemed good.

While attempting to take a trial run before the San Marino Auto Classic two weeks ago, After a few minutes the engine overheated, the temperature gauge hit the red zone, so I shut down, cooled off and looked for leaks. Started it again after an hour, and same thing. The louvers opened, but for safety I didn't keep in running or even pull it out of the garage.

Another highly knowledgeable Packard owner at the meet mentioned a water pump adjustment, but he was not in the mood for conversation so I never got details.

There is a bit of leaking in the housing under the shaft, but just a few drops. I hope this is not requiring another radiator removal or engine teardown.

What may be causing the overheating? Any low-hanging fruit to check before I have to put this in the hands of a professional?

Posted on: Today 19:18
1930 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 7-45 Overheating After Radiator Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you have a slight leak at the water pump shaft, tightening the packing nut slightly will probably stop it. 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the nut is usually enough, if the pump is in good condition. You don't want to over-tighten the packing. In some cases, a water pump can leak air into the cooling system when the engine is running, especially at higher speeds. That can lead to overheating. Be sure the water pump is lubricated properly, and be sure the fan belt is properly adjusted. The radiator hoses need to be in good condition and the engine needs to be in a good state of tune. Be sure the fan is not on backwards. It must pull air from front to back.

Posted on: Today 20:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved