Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valvetrain noise after not starting for a few months - any remedies for future?
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Haven't started the car in a few months and when I did there was quite a bit of valvetrain noise. Went away after a little while of running. Curious if there's a way to prevent it in the future - other than the obvious - run the car on a regular basis. Not sure if there's an oil additive or any other remedy that might help. Thank you in advance.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Valvetrain noise after not starting for a few months - any remedies for future?
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
What year and model?

Posted on: Yesterday 20:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Valvetrain noise after not starting for a few months - any remedies for future?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like it took a bit to get the oil pressure up feed to the lifters.

Which engine do you have?

In my old worn motors, I always run a little Lucas Oil Stabilizer which helps to keep things quiet.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DM37
See User information
If this is a super eight or twelve with the dashpot valve silencers, then read the service counselors (on the literature pages of this forum) and there are numerous notes to owners/mechanics that as long as there isnt "gunk" in the oil passages, it takes several minutes and heating up to get oil pumped through all the passageways up to the dashpots...even then there may be an air bubble that takes repeated running to "burp" out and then it will all quiet down.

If this isnt one of those engines, then someone else should assist your understanding.

Posted on: Today 11:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved