Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Starter Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
If your bench testing off a battery (not a bench power supply), it should throw the bendix out pretty quickly as it spins (almost violently). If not, perhaps the starter isn't spinning fast enough.

If you didn't, I would test with jumper cables off the battery since the starters pull a lot amps, and testing with too small of a wire or a bench top power supply wouldn't supply enough.

Used jumper cables off the battery, fully charged. Starting to think the new bendix may be the problem. I asked for the old one back when I picked up the starter, but it was already gone.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:49
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
FYI a starter needs almost 100A when NOT connected to an engine. Unless you have some rare industrial 12V PSU lying around, then starters should only be tested with a known good battery AND quality jumper cables.

I was spinning a starter one time with the crappy jumpers, maybe 4 gauge? Noticed after the starter spun for 5-10 sec it would slow down a bit. Felt my jumper cables and THEY were getting warm...

Posted on: Yesterday 20:52
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd also check for any burrs or rough spots where the gear slides. Perhaps it's catching under load when thrown to one side. If you find any, then removing them could address the issue.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Well this is a bit frustrating!

I just popped the Autolite starter on to see what would happen, and it works better than my rebuilt Delco! Turns over better, and no issues with it not disengaging. BTW, my Delco turned the car over better after it was rebuilt that it originally did.

Would the Autolite starters have been a better starter than the Delco?

The solenoid is bad on the Autolite, but I can swap that off my Delco.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure one is better than another. I have a Delco and it has worked like a Dickenson orphan since I got my car.

Sounds like the starter still has a problem that wasn't fully resolved/addressed during the rebuild.

Check the brushes. Look for any evidence of arcing or carbon scoring.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The Auto Lite does not use a Bendix. Instead it uses a throwout and an overrunning clutch.

The Bendix should be more weatherproof but the Auto Lite is nice since it often engages before it starts to turn; the starter switch is activated by the full travel of the throwout slug. (The spur gear is spring loaded in case the gears clash.)

Posted on: Yesterday 21:47
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
The Auto Lite does not use a Bendix. Instead it uses a throwout and an overrunning clutch.

The Bendix should be more weatherproof but the Auto Lite is nice since it often engages before it starts to turn; the starter switch is activated by the full travel of the throwout slug. (The spur gear is spring loaded in case the gears clash.)

I think I like the Autolite throwout and overrunning clutch set up. It is certainly working better than the Bendix that was put in my rebuilt Delco. It seems to me that either it is going to be all the way engaged, or all the way disengaged, which would better.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Had to take the Autolite off to change the solenoid, so thought I had better at least clean it up a bit as well.

drive.google.com/file/d/1l6aqLRRRgkh_um94BCoWm4q6aOGpMCsS/view?usp=drive_link

Not sure what I will do now..............maybe get the Autolite rebuilt???

Posted on: Yesterday 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Maybe look for a different rebuilder

Posted on: Yesterday 23:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved