Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Changing broken universal joint on 1948 288 engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
My u-joint broke, I got another and installed it on the rear of the shaft.
When I reinstalled the shaft and connected it to the transmission end the new ujoint installed does not match with the yoke on the rear end. Apparently the carrier bolts are just off a little. How do I find the correct ujoint that will fit the toke on my rear end? Just another situation I have seemed to get myself into.

Posted on: Today 0:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Changing broken universal joint on 1948 288 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
New u-joints often have to be squeezed into place so if the bolt-on type, put a c-clamp over them to get them into place.

Posted on: Today 11:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Changing broken universal joint on 1948 288 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the shaft side fit without issue then perhaps the squeezing will do the job but if there appears to be a distinct mismatch with hole positions or sizes of parts you also need to verify you are installing the correct replacement. Packard used both Mechanics and Spicer brand U joints which are not mechanically just a drop in swap item between brands. There could be a mismatch in bolt hole or a machined size on the flange because of that. Presuming the car had the stock items that were broken the choice of U joint varied by model and whether the car was standard trans only or had overdrive. You can check the parts manual to see what U joint and matching flanges SHOULD have been present but if someone changed things over the years and tried to make do with what could have been available you might need more items than just a U joint to make things match again.

Posted on: Today 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved