Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

56Clippers, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Starter Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Paint the Autolite, use as is.

The thought had crossed my mind, as the Auto-Lite seems strong. I should have done some research before getting my Delco rebuilt. My Cavalier is all Delco, so my thought was I would keep it all Delco.

I like the clutch system on the Auto-Lite better, but there's nothing wrong with a properly functioning Bendix.

BUT, now that I look at the starter specifications in the service manual, there is a reason that the Auto-lite seems strong. The "stalled torque ft. lbs." on the Delco are 16, but on both Auto-Lite models (one has the clutch and one has a Bendix) the stalled torque ft. lbs. are 25.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I think I'll be keeping the Auto-lite in the car! But I will take my rebuilt starter back to the shop and see if they can sort out what the trouble is.

Posted on: Today 15:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Without comparing all the specs, I believe for the most part until maybe the 53-4 models Packard used all Autolite -- starter, generator, regulator, distributor and coil on the higher end models with larger engines and all Delco on the lower end and smaller engines. This definitely changed with the 55 V8s but maybe the switch started to happen a year or so earlier with Delco on the higher end Packard models and Autolite on the Clippers.

Posted on: Today 15:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
PMCC always tried to have multiple suppliers were possible in the event of supply issue.

Posted on: Today 15:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved