Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 104

bkazmer, packardsix1939, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

3 Pin Brake Light Switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

upsidedown
See User information
Hoping someone can shed some light as why I cant seem to get the stop lights on my 1956 Patrician to work. Have tried 3 new 3 pin brake light switches to no avail. If i take the brake light wire out of the 3 pin plug and apply auxiliary power to it the lights work as they should. The outlet that feeds the torsion bar works fine. I have made sure the hydraulic fluid is at the fitting so there is no air gap. Yes the motor was running and the treddlevac works.
Hard to believe a new 3 pin brake switch still in the boxes could all be faulty. any thoughts please.

Posted on: Today 4:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 3 Pin Brake Light Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Have you put a meter across the brake circuit of the switch and tested it?

You can also test it by raising the back of the car with the levelizer and then shutting off the suspension at the under dash switch. The swap the brake and suspension wires at the 3 pin switch. Now the brake lights should be on and go off when you press the brake pedal and when you switch the suspension back on, it will only go back to level when you keep your foot pressed. on the brake pedal.

Next would be fluid pressure to the switch. When you bled the brakes, did you bleed the switch?

You could also pick up a 2 pin brake light switch and see what happens.

Next would to be to put a pressure gauge at the switch location and see what you have by way of pressure.

Posted on: Today 5:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 3 Pin Brake Light Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One possible issue is the terminals on the new switch have a different layout from the old switch. The symptoms sounds like the input voltage might be on the wrong terminal..

Packard issued two diagram versions of how the switch terminals are connected and a third was found to be the case with a different brand switch. I do not know if one of the Packard versions was incorrect or if they actually had different configuration switches in 55 and 56 but you might try all 3 combinations and see if one works before deciding the new switch is bad.

An easy test would be remove the wires from the switch and then use an ohmmeter to try the various combinations. With the switch just sitting continuity should be between COM and N.C. with no connection between COM and N.O. When the brakes are applied it should switch with continuity being between COM and N.O. with N.C. disconnected.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 9:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved