Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

TommyGoGo, Ronald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Changing the Ultramatic for a Standard Transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks, is it difficult to adjust the throttle linkage? It was set up for the '55, top hole, and I had my mechanic reset it to the middle hole, per the service manual, and adjust the throttle linkage. That made a difference in the shift pattern and I'm wondering if that adjustment needs to be done again to fix the tranny from not shifting out of first in D?

Posted on: 2009/6/25 6:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I don't believe there is any differecne in throttle linkage adjustment between the manual (lever) and push button selectors.

However, it is important to review ALL of the supplemental bulletins and articles pertaining to this linkage adjustment because the procedure was revised more than once. I also seem to recall the factory reported an error in the shop manual or training booklet. Again, you'll find these topics neatly reference in this website's Service Index.

Adjusting the throttle linkage is not that difficult, but a bit tedious. Also, you have to hold the linkage in such a way as to prevent stressing the joint at the carb; otherwise it could break.

Now, think of the automatic transmission as being controlled by a hydraulic computer. In general, the transmission senses: 1) engine speed, via front pump pressure: 2) vehicle speed, via governor pressure; and 3) driver demand, via throttle valve pressure. Thus, in determining what "gear" to use, the transmission considers driver demand and compares engine speed to vehicle speed. This is a bit of an over-simplification, but it should tell you that throttle linkage adjustment is critical.

Yet, while throttle valve pressure determines the point at which a shift occurs, I cannot say for certain that it would prevent a shift from low to high.

Again, be sure to review the bulletin on adjusting the acutator and checking the control valve position. That work is a bit more involved than adjusting the linkage, but I could accomplish it at home with the car properly perched on reliable set of jackstands over a concrete floor.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
When I brought it back the first time after the rebuild for leaking, it was not fixed nor was it free, though we did negotiate the charge down.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks, Ill take a look at the bulletin to see if that can help me this weekend when I have some time to look at it.

Gene

Posted on: 2009/6/26 10:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved