Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Battery Cut-off Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I have a switch that is similar to JW's as well, mounted on the firewall close to the steering linkage.
When I first got the car, I used the switch often as I stored the car remotely for a month or two at a time. Now it is in my garage, so I use a battery tender. Other than the clock, which seems to require no real draw, I don't believe there is any constant draw on the system while standing. Is there a reason that I should also be using the cut-off switch?

Attach file:

jpg  (120.83 KB)
843_4a9fd9c31656e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (92.85 KB)
843_4a9fd9d88fadd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:01
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No reason other than peace of mind.

Battery discharge is not so much the reason to use but more a fault prevention such as a component failure, an old dried & cracked piece of insulation falling off in the wrong spot, or the ignition switch melting failures one mfg had a few yrs ago and the more current flamb?e de Ford caused by the faulty cruise control switch.

Aside from possibly burning the house down, not that much is lost if a modern car is smoked or well done but a 70 yr old Packard is a different story.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
John,

You are giving us all ideas!

Looking at your original photos again, I am thinking that a Cole Hersee 2484-09 switch could be mounted through the floor in my 39 LaSalle. The battery is under the driver's feet below a floor access panel(4 bolts). That would beat mounting it near the battery box UNDER the car!
DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:41
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
41ParPac, I mounted the switch in the engine compartment for quick access, just in case . . . The under the seat was hidden and difficult to get to.

I had a '39 Cadillac Sixty Special several years ago. If I recall correctly, the battery was mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side down low next to the firewall. I may be mistaken about the specifics but it was in the engine compartment. It was positive grounded. That is a car that should have had a cut-off switch - original wiring!

Posted on: 2009/9/3 17:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved