Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 73

Dell, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

My Design for a '32 904 Sport Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

This is the first watercolor rendering I completed a few years ago. It's a '32 Deluxe Eight Model 904 Sport Sedan, draws inspiration from the Dietrich V-windshield customs and one particular Rolls-Royce Phantom II sport sedan by Brewster, chassis AJS289.

As it happened, there was an unrestored '32 904 limousine sold at a local auction in '94 or '95 that sparked the thought process that lead to this design.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (28.45 KB)
409_4b0c72edb564d.jpg 799X356 px

Posted on: 2009/11/24 18:57
 Top  Print   

Re: My Design for a '32 904 Sport Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Do you reproduce these in prints?

I for one would be greatly interested in your paintings!

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:37
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Hobbs

Glad you like them, I'm looking into having prints made of my designs. I'm trying to figure out what size and price range would be acceptable to the most potential purchasers, guess I'll try a survey posting.

Still thinking about that '47 Super Clipper....!

Steve

Posted on: 2009/11/25 19:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Sounds Great!!! Keep up the good work!!

Posted on: 2009/11/26 17:46
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Steve: I certainly like your rendering of your idea for the 32 Sport Sedan. I believe the Rolls Royce your referring to body built by Brewster was called the Newmarket Sedan.

The only thing that I might have changed in your rendering would be the length of the hood. I personally like the longer hood design by Alex de Sakhnoffsky.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/26 20:49
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi John

Thanks for the compliment, I too would do this design with the full-length hood now, as I did on my 734 & 745 Speedster designs. There's another project, see how easy these ideas occur!

The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Sport Sedan by Brewster I'm referring to is an obscure one. Here are three sources where you can see pictures of it.

Rolls-Royce in America by John Webb de Campi, page 134 middle picture, front three quarter view, factory photo.

The Classic Car, The Ultimate Book About The World's Grandest Automobiles by Beverly Rae Kimes, page 706, bottom picture, rear three quarter view, best view of this knockout gorgeous body, poor quality snapshot photo.

The owner at the time when this great Kimes work was published in 1990 was Mr. Andrew Darling of Edina, MN. I seem to recall Mr. Darling as since passed on, the car sold at a high-profile auction in the '90's.

Speed & Luxury, The Great Cars by Dennis Adler, page 115, top picture, color, front three quarter view. Nice color, doesn't show the design to its best advantage.

Of this Brewster design, it really is a four door version of the Henley roadster. It has the same windshield, molding design, general form of the top in elongated form. Refer to de Campi's book, page 128; the Kimes book, page 711.

Of the Brewster Newmarkets: those are convertible sedans based closely on the Murphy convertible sedans. In fact, seems if I recall reading Brewster had approval from Murphy to use the design. I love both versions as well, just tailored, elegant designs, perfect in every way.

I am think about painting another version of my '32 Sport Sedan, this time as a '32 Twin Six, with a full-length hood. Just have to figure out color, and background.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/11/27 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Steve: Thanks for the reference sources you listed none of which I have in my library. The reason I stated that the Brewster body style for the Phantom II was a Newmarket Sedan. I was looking at page 238 in the book The Classic Era by Kimes.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/27 21:45
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi John

That's IT! That Rolls-Royce Brewster Sport Sedan is the primary inspiration for my design!

Thanks, I'd forgotten it is pictured in this fine book, and it sets right on the same shelf with the other books listed. Wish they had also shown a rear three quarters view, it's just a knock-out!

I was also reminded how surprised I was when I first read the caption calling it a "Newmarket Sedan by Brewster". Since every other use of the term referred to a convertible sedan, I still wonder why it was used to describe this car. Seems every other Brewster body type received evocative monickers, except the sport sedans.

Regardless of my surprise, now you know where the thought processes began for my design.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/11/28 10:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved