Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

PackardSanta, FirstEliminator, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Packard Wives: Nature or Nurture?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"One thing my good wife has done over the last 28 years has been a good manager of money"

John. U ARE a very lucky man indeed. There are very few of those type of women in the world.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 22:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
One thing my good wife has done over the last 28 years has been a good manager of money. In another 18 months we are going to be able to retire with no debts and some money in the bank. Because of that I will be able to spend all the time I want working on both of my cars.

I am lucky to have the wife I have to me life is good.

John F. Shireman

You are a good man John. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
When I first brought my 55 Clipper home it was a parts car and my wife hated it. It took only 4 years to get it to where it is today. I brought her to the club to on the outings, what woman doesn't like to eat out? She got to know the other women in the club and now loves it. She has even driven my 55 Clipper to a Packard breakfast when I could not make it. She has gone to a couple different Packard functions without me. She also has claimed one of my other Packards for her and it needs work. This has taken awhile and she now has the bug. I'd like to thank all the friendly gals in the Packard club who are now her friend. Take her to the club meetings, breakfasts, lunch, dinner and socialize. She'll come around when she has friends in the club.
Good Luck.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I think there must be something in their background or genes. My first date with my wife was over 42 years ago. I picked her up in my 1934 Plymouth coupe. I kid that she fell in love with it before she did me. So she has had to put up with my cars for many years. t used to be any old car, even brand X and Y. I built a 48 Chevy coupe for her to drive to school; after she started teaching. She loved it. More recently I bought and restored a 47 Custom Super Eight Packard sedan. We both love it.
My wife, like many others has become weary of riding in any car without air conditioning. I guess we have become spoiled.
I have placed an extension from the house phone in my shop. So she can reach me anytime.
I also try to support my wife's interests when we travel with our Packards. I'm always willing to stop and let her visit quilting shops or other points of interest. All part of our give and take.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 21:38
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
My wife and I have an agreement: whenever I buy another car, she get diamonds! We've been "happily" married 39 years...

Posted on: 2009/12/9 22:15
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When we bought our house my wife and I had an agreement. The house was hers, but the garage was mine, and was not to be used for storage.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 22:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have two hobbies, old toy trains and Packards. My wife never hassled me about my hobbies. She did join the car club and went to all our outings and cruises. She found less interest in the trains, but graciously put up with them.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, To get back to the original thread, there is no way to make your spouse like a Packard or any other motoring hobby, particularly when it prevents you from giving "you know who" some real time maintenance and attention ( ladies run on differt petrol to gentlemen) . Reading the thread responses, many have "understandings" of time-outs for hobbies etc., but it would be great to involve our wives/partners/ soulmates (etc?) in our hobby of old Packards. OPTION ONE.....Packard and no other: This would not be much of an Olive branch and is likely to be rejected.
OPTION TWO: A neat little 1960's compact from Mopar, Chev or Ford. These little suckers are pretty easy to maintain, look good and are a good investment. The Missus will love it and it will get you some breathing space to get the Packard running well. Let her choose the colour and style, within budget, even if it needs work, ( sorry Guys, "COLOR") You should have your normal veto in terms of rejecting a dud for mechanical reasons, but let her have her say, and get it if she really wants it! You will get a spouse with a real interest in the "old car' hobby. This technique works for me and I now have over 50 old bikes from 1907 and around 15 cars with over 50 vehivcles on the road. My wife was never into old cars/bikes, now she rides 1938 Nortons and can drive a 1935 Super 8 Packard. I am not going to burst that bubble. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2009/12/10 3:32
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
A number of years ago I had a New convertible, I was fixed up with a blind date by a fiend. When I went to pick her up to go for ice cream, we were about mile down the road and she want me to stop and "put the top UP",Because her hair was getting blown around,I turned around and drove her back to her house! that was the end of that date!! I think Tiger Woods should have bought a couple of Old Packards and kept them in his garage to stay at home and work on!

Posted on: 2009/12/10 16:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Heather Moss
See User information
This is my kinda conversation. Thanks to kacarlson for starting it.
I can see that I'm the odd one out on here.
This is the way I was nurtured.

I grew up in a family of motoring enthusiast's, mainly Packard's and British and American motor cycles. So, you could say it was in the blood.
I think my interest developed as a teenager, when we were all still living at home. My brothers were always working on bikes and cars and when they would get something "going" they would always include me in their fun and give me a ride or make me drive. We were on a farm so that made things easier, no registration or license needed.
I got my bike license on a 53 Norton Dominator, 500cc.
I have never owned a "new" modern car, and never wanted to. I would much rather drive more interesting vehicles and over the years my" drivers" have been... 53 Anniversary Ford, Kombi van, 61 Mercedes Benz Finny, and then a couple of Saab 900's.

My husband of 30 years has no real interest in my car passion, and doesn't come with me on the rallies, and we don't talk "cars" at home either. But that doesn't bother me at all because I always find people willing to discuss cars wherever I go, admittedly they are mostly men.

Three years ago when I first joined the Club and registered the Packard, I made some contacts in America who answered my questions on the forum. I was so enthusiastic about Packard's
I also met Jim (39super8, his car was the same model as mine and the only other one I'd ever seen.. So the internet and these forums have been " awesome" for me.
I think your wives would develop more of an interest if you could get them to drive the cars and participate in your shows/runs. But having said that....I also know that most of the wives in our club are not that "into" cars, but love going on the rallies and meeting up with other members again.
Who knows, I might even get my husband to drive me to a rally one day?

Attach file:

jpg  (25.58 KB)
159_4b21ad5db9124.jpg 339X522 px

Posted on: 2009/12/10 21:24
Heather M
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved