Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: A strange Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Well that's good to know about the plate. What about the Packard script on the other car and not mine? Does that say anything about when it was built or whether it was made before or after the final Packard production?
I know exactly what kind of sheet you're talking about. I've seen one off a Chevy but it was mounted to the gas tank. Unfortunately there was no gold at the end of that treasure hunt. I did learn that the back of my glove compartment is being held together with some ancient, yellow, dried out scotch tape though. I'll need to put some gaffer's tape on that one.
It would be cool to know exactly what my car had when it first hit the road.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Watch for yellow rubber date stamps on various parts of the car: Back side of clock. Heater box. Does the car have an underseat heater too???

Posted on: 2010/4/3 9:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
No it doesn't have the underseat heater. I'll have to check for something like those stamps.

Oh and to revise a previous statement I made:
"Like I mentioned though it has been replaced once before so even though these are factory colors and materials it may not be the combo it originally left the factory with."
Seeing as how this combination was stamped on the data plate I think it's safe to say that these are the same as the original colors and materials

Posted on: 2010/4/3 10:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Clipper became a make in 1956 (Clipper Division, Studebaker-Packard Corp.)

The story of the '56 Packard trunk script is told somewhere in Nathanael Dawes' book on postwar Packards. It goes like this: When launched, Clippers came without it but dealers soon found out that it was easier to sell small Packards rather than quite unknown Clippers. So, when dealer complaints arose, Packard made this trunk script a running change. And more than that, they even created a kit for retrofitting the thing on earlier '56 Clippers at no expense. As it diluted the strategy of strictly separating Packard and Clipper, marketing war quite unhappy, but it wasn't even contacted before. Possibly, Nance was not pleased to learn about.

In hindsight, it doesn't matter, anyway. Clipper as a make lasted for one year only, and for 1957, there were only Packard Clippers: The Town Sedan and the Country Sedan station wagon, both based on the Studebaker President Classic.

Some years ago, I also owned a '56 Clipper Deluxe. It was a Dover White / Maltese Gray parts car with T-U (no push-button), ps, pb, radio with electric antenna, small hubcaps, fender skirts, heater and Torsion Level Ride. It was an original export model with a high VIN. And it had the script on the trunk, too.

Torsion Level Ride came standard on all Packards and Clippers. On Clipper Deluxes only, conventional suspension was a no-cost option.

Dawes also tells something about the Deluxe's small hub caps that came as standard equipment. If he is correct, it was simply forgotten to retool the cap for the '56 Clipper, so it had to go to the dealers with the '55 cap. And that is the reason why the Deluxe is the only Clipper of that year that proudly presents the script "Packard Clipper" on these caps

Posted on: 2010/4/6 5:08
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Yep, my Deluxe has "Packard Clipper" on the small hub caps...

alburton, I guess our cars are a different color then, even though some of the pics make it look the same, the Persian Aqua, code L, is more blue-ish... maybe why it came with the black interior, although I think there was a blue interior available for Deluxes. Is your painted dashboard dark green or black? Hard to see in the pics.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 8:01
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
michaelk -

Your recollections of the trunk script are correct, and here's a link to a document that BigKev brought to my attention, a few months ago:

Packard Script Name Plate Kit, Letter to Dealers - Apr. 13, 1956

...which supports that story and gives further insight.

I've long known the tale, but perhaps I will add this detailed letter to the 1955-1956 Service Index (though not until after I finish the 48-50 content).

BH

Posted on: 2010/4/6 9:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
They are different but I agree that they look alike in some of the pictures. The swatches under the model info are a little clearer to see the difference. Looks like yours has the more traditional Clipper caps though. Which is nice because they also say Packard on them. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me, "What kind of Chevy is that?" or "Did you put those tail lights in your Oldsmobile?" They just don't recognize it and when I say it's a Packard they get a curious "Ohh?" look on their faces LOL. Also sounds like you might be right about yours being a later model.
My dash is indeed dark green it's almost a match to the dark green upholstery.

I love the dealer letter about the script. Little pieces of a companies history are interesting. Tells a lot about the reaction people had to the change and goes to show that people don't always take it well. After all, there was (and is) something to the Packard name.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
If you can find one, and it shouldn't be hard, you could put that Packard script on your trunk lid using the template provided in that dealer letter - which would partly solve the ID problem you're having with onlookers! And it would be legit, since many 56 Clippers were retro-fitted that way.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 9:20
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
I considered that when I read that dealer letter and though it would be acceptable there is a nagging voice in my head that says it isn't original to my car. So I'll leave it regardless of the i.d. issue. I'll just continue to inform people and maybe it will strike someone else to find an interest in Packard. Curiosity doesn't always kill the cat.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 15:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

alburton wrote:
I considered that when I read that dealer letter and though it would be acceptable there is a nagging voice in my head that says it isn't original to my car. So I'll leave it regardless of the i.d. issue. I'll just continue to inform people and maybe it will strike someone else to find an interest in Packard. Curiosity doesn't always kill the cat.

That is a terrific outlook. I think it is neat that you have an example of one that did not get the script for people to see. It is always tempting make changes, and often is fine, but I really respect the fact that you understand that you have a special car in that it is a survivor and deserves to receive care, maintenance, and sympathetic restoration. There are a great number of serious car collectors that have the utmost respect for cars that fall in this category.

Good for you!
Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/7 23:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved