Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Stainless Exhaust System
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Several people/companies offer these at varying but noticeable prices if you get the full set with resonators and mufflers.

When I talk to local owners, there is a dubious consensus that some don't fit well, while others do, but no one I know really knows beans about them.

What would you purchase, and why (and how much?)?????

If you paid to have your set installed, what would you expect to fork over?

Posted on: 2011/1/11 13:58
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Stainless Exhaust System
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SS is VERY difficult to bend,cut or machine. So if it doesn't fit just rite and some bending is required then u got a problem. SS is EXPENSIVE! Just use a good quality regular steel exhaust.

ID u plan a custom show car with mirrors displaying the undercarriage and want to polish everything then go for the SS, it will shine almost like chrome. For a driver just use the regular steel. Regular steel will last long time and many miles especialy for a pleasure car.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 15:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps the only advantage (other than to the environment) of unleaded gasoline is that mild steel exhaust systems last MUCH longer. The one on my Carib is mild steel and is 12 years old, looks and sounds like new. I know of others who have had plain mild steel systems considerably longer.

I put a stainless system on my 34 back in the 70s; it may be forever but the tonal qualities don't match what the OEM systems sounded like. And as has just been pointed out, if you need to bend something even a smidge, it's very difficult. I wouldn't buy stainless again.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OPTIMAL situation is to have your OLD pipes used as a pattern to have NEW pipes bent up. I'm keeping all old pipes, no matter how bad and rusted they are in storeage. That way the pipe can be bent locally and the car is disabled for the shortest period of time and the fit is nearly gauranteed.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Friend Chris has SS system on his Caribbean. Snap, Crackle, Pop as system warms up. Then it sounds tinny while motoring along. Then Pop, Crackle, Snap, as it cools down. He doesn't like it - neither do I.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I used to use a 1971 Fargo (Dodge) pickup as everyday transportation. It was driven in Canada summer and winter,through snow, on salted roads, in the rain, every type of weather, and sometimes used off road.

I put a new good quality exhaust system on it (Walker) but before I installed it, I painted the whole system with 2 coats of hi temp aluminum stove pipe paint by brush.

Ten years later the exhaust looked new, no rust. The first 2 or 3 feet at the manifold, were slightly dull or discolored but the paint stayed on.

Today there are several brands of hi temp paint made for exhaust pipes.

If I put a new exhaust on a collector car I would do the same thing. Also, drill a 1/8" hole at the lowest point on the muffler to let moisture drain out. Finally do not start the car unless you can let it warm up completely. If you do these things your exhaust system should last indefinitely. No stainless steel required.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Incidentally I used to work in a muffler shop. I did not directly copy old pipes but they are handy to tell you where the original pipe went. It is not always easy to figure out, from under the car, which side of the shock absorber the pipe went around, etc.

There are different grades of pipe. Basically a thin cheap pipe and a thicker more durable pipe. Our shop always used the good stuff. The difference was only pennies and it was easier to bend without kinking, made a quieter exhaust, and lasted 2 or 3 times as long.

It is easy enough to tell the difference if you pick up a piece or look in the end. In the good stuff the metal is nearly 1/16" thick. The cheap stuff is paper thin and has hardly any weight to it.

Packard V8 I hope you painted those old pipes or dipped them in oil or there may not be much left when you go to get them.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
As far as price goes we charged by time and materials, for making up an exhaust system. For a full size car like a Packard it would probably be $300 and up. If you insisted on OEM mufflers, or dual exhausts, it would cost more money.

Packard straight eight with in stock muffler, around $300. Packard V8, with Y pipe, single exhaust, around $350 - $400. Caribbean with dual exhaust, and OEM style mufflers could go over $500.

These are only guesses and will vary around the country.

You might get quotes from local muffler shops. Go in and check out the quality of pipes and mufflers they use. You may find an honest guy who uses good quality materials charges less than the rip off guy with the flimsy pipes and cheap mufflers. Guarantees and fancy shops mean little unless you know the shop, or get a recommendation from someone who knows what he is talking about.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I suppose the next question is: Are there any muffler shops left?

I know Midas and their competitors are still there overselling dubious work; I'm thinking the guy who actually knows what he is doing and is reasonably fair about cost.....

Posted on: 2011/1/12 13:14
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know about your area but lots out here. I had bought a Kepich regular system for my 56 and there was one bend not quite right. Took it in to an independent, he rebent and fixed that. He suggested some chrome extensions on the ends so the pipes extended slightly past the bumper openings to keep the drips off the new chrome. Either that or cut the pipes a tad short. I liked the chrome look-- maybe not quite stock but I thought they looked great when finished and sure does keep the drips off. Don't remember the cost of all but was minimal.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 13:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved