Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Article Comparing 1956 Luxury Cars
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would love to find a set of those external A/C intakes used on the 53-54 cars.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 20:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering if Cadillac, lincoln, Chrysler and Packard et-al maybe all used the same scoops. Maybe supplied by one manufacturer????

Posted on: 2011/6/14 20:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't speak for the others but Cadillac and Packard are most definitely different. Cadillac is much shorter than Packards and IMHO, rounder or not as streamlined.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 21:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
thanks HH56.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 21:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
Chrysler's scoops looked more like Cadillac's in 55 and 56...in 53 and 54, the Imperial and other Chrysler products used a flat intake.for.the Airtemp unit. That unit used hot gas bypass technology which gave a degree of automatic temperature control ...the driver only selected fan speed...much like the front mounted 55 and 56 Packard system. It.is interesting.to me that.GM used.the front.mounted system first in 54 for Pontiac then in 55 and 56 for Chevrolet and Pontiac...just as Ford.did...the better brands...including Lincoln and Cadillac continued with the trunk units. Buick went to an in dash system in 56.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 1:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Great info, thanks. Was not aware Packard had moved the evap case to underhood in 55. Chrysler in 58?

Posted on: 2011/6/15 6:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
Another interesting fact...even with trunk mounted unit, Cadillac offered AC for convertibles in 56...they even described it as "perfected" in their brochure that year. To knowledge, no one else using the rear systems offered air conditioned convertibles or station wagons. There was one custom 54 Packard wagon which was described as having AC.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 7:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The convertible with trunk AC would be interesting to see if anyone has pictures. A lot of unit to cram in an already compromised space and then to see how they did the ducts.

The hot gas bypass system did a surprisingly good job for a lot of years but guess the complexity and P.I.A. servicing issues if a valve failed finally won out. The Frigidaire electric variable temp control Packard and Cadillac used on the trunk units with bypass was an interesting solution albeit a bit complex. I rather wish they had kept a version of it instead of going with the fixed temp adjust the fan only system in 55-6 though.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved