Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

head removal 282 eight
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40pack
See User information
Anybody got a good way to loosen the head on a 282 eight? Mine is pretty clean and when I pulled the nuts (a few studs came with them) the studs don't look like they are corroded to the head too bad. This probably sounds nuts but I was wondering about turning the eng over, but I don't want to warp the head either.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 20:13
 Top  Print   

Re: head removal 282 eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
If the car has recently been run, just use the starter. If the engine is stuck or has been sittior for years, put some lubricant down the plug holes, let it sit and break free by hand. Then use starter

Posted on: 2011/8/24 21:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40pack
See User information
Thanks for the comeback. I drive the car most every day when the sun is out. So it turns over fine. I was just worried that it may warp the head to break if free with compression.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 23:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Just don't take the rest of the nuts off.
Just break them loose, snug down finger tight and let the motor warm up. If it does't break loose, loosen them up a little more and try again.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 14:11
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40pack
See User information
Thanks guys, got it off. Poured some Mouse Milk around the bolts and let it sit over night. Hooked a hoist to it and got some tension and left a few nuts on just loose. Turned it over about twice, then kept tapping it with a 3 lb maul and it worked loose.
Now I'm trying to get the pan off and it looks like I'll have to pull the drag link arm to get it to clear. Decided to put a set of rings in it as well.....always something. D

Posted on: 2011/8/25 21:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved