Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Paint on Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
thanks . see below. i posted some pics of mine.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 22:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the number. Just too bad there doesn't seem to be a reference by year other than for 53. Starting with a 3xxxx puts it in a strange place if there is any correlation to sequential numbering. Did you happen to see the casting date?

The one thing I would be concerned about would be the number of clutch plates. If you put a 10 disc unit behind a larger torque engine that should have a 12, would be very worried clutch would slip. There is a caution about doing that very thing in an earlier article. It was stressed OK to put a 12 behind a small engine but NEVER the other way around. The other things mentioned as different like speedo gears are fairly easily changed but not clutch assys.

EDIT: Just saw your date post so that could put it in sequence for a small clutch unit if it's one for that chassis. Looks like the plate number depends a lot on the axle ratio.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.10 KB)
209_4edaeec47165d.jpg 758X830 px

Posted on: 2011/12/3 22:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
i could look tomorrow for the casting number , but if i wanted to get a 52 to rebuild, I would want the the right trans for my car. it came with a 327 ... K4XXXX ... and it has a 51 288 in it now. with the 53 -10 plate trans. when i go looking for a 52 ( 12- plate ) i am starting to know what to look for.
I will start reading all the Ultramatic info i can. I had my 52 out on Highway 101 today. got her up to 85mph. shake down test/ she needs alot of work. but SHE GOES!

i want the right trans for my car. when i go down to see Jerry to get a 327 and Ultra-matic.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
what i need to do is know how to find the right trans for my car when i go down to see Jerry after the Holidays. I am looking for a 52 Ultramatic with the 12 plates. i can now look for the tag by the top filler hole. but how do i identify one that was behind a 327? ( 12 plate)

Posted on: 2011/12/4 23:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

James Russell Packard III wrote:
what i need to do is know how to find the right trans for my car when i go down to see Jerry after the Holidays. I am looking for a 52 Ultramatic with the 12 plates. i can now look for the tag by the top filler hole. but how do i identify one that was behind a 327? ( 12 plate)

Was hoping one of the experienced Ultramatic guys would have an easy answer but short of a serial number (which apparently there is no known reference) or a known history of which car one on the shelf came out of I don't know if there is a way.

The 10 plate high range clutch assy looks the same externally and as mentioned in this early bulletin the only identification is a star. I would hope that method carried thru to the end but I do not know if that's the case of if perhaps the star is also stamped on the case near the serial number or was only on the clutch assy.

A later twin Ultra unit has an external star for some reason so certainly look for one and maybe that is the easy answer. If nothing is evident on any of the units then it's disassembly of the trans to view the clutch assembly.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.76 KB)
209_4edd6f7c9147f.jpg 253X264 px

Posted on: 2011/12/5 20:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
You are Awesome. Thank You Very Much. Merry Christmas!

Posted on: 2011/12/6 18:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved