Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 224

Mavrik8511, acolds, series014, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: NO ethanol gasoline
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"Until a way or will is found to eliminate this figure and put substantial limitations on those that offer and accept, there will be no slowing in the upward spiral of the other figures."

Well sure. But such financial boondoggles has been a part of the world since the beginning of civilization. The real problem is keeping up with what the big money boys will come up with next. What will be added or taken away from gasoline in the comming years that will send us "back to the drawing board" for more updates and modifications to fuel systems???

Therefore ANY resilient tipped carburetor needle is only a temporary fix until the next generation of fuel changes occur. Which could occur in less than 5 year cycles. Ditto for other fuel delivery related modificTions or even internal engine and exhaust. Identifying the problems with future fuel changes before the problems occur is also an issue for all of us.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 6:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
(2) 88 Ford rangers 2.0 with CARB and engine mounted mechanical pump NO probems. Both do alot of idleing in very hot weather. Carb mounted on opposite side of engine from exhaust.

I'm glad you have had no problems with this stuff. I have had just the opposite. Had carburetor problems with all three of my gas powered yard tools. Chain saw, weed wacker (4 stroke version), and the hedge trimmer. All needed the carburetors replaced. My newest car is a 1973. Have had various problems with all of my last 5 or so cars. Mostly fuel leaks and fuel pumps that don't pump anymore.

I am in liberal California where a lot of this wacko stuff starts so Mine may be an extreme case. How are the rest of you fairing with your gas engines?

Posted on: 2011/12/7 12:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't say I like the stuff, but no problems with either Packard, lawn mower, chain saw, or everyday cars. When the ethanol/gas first came out (12 years ago?) I did rebuild both Packard fuel pumps with compatible materials and changed any rubber fuel hoses. Also changed the rubber gaskets in the fuel filter bowls. No problems since. I did not rebuild the carburetor in the 34 Packard (it was last rebuild in the 70s) and have had no problems with it to this day. I had the two Caribbean Rochesters rebuilt (by Daytona) but for other reasons. All the carbs use steel needles in brass seats, I'm not a fan of the polymeric needle tips. I've also never experienced vapor lock with either car and run factory mechanical fuel pumps. It would seem my experience is better than many.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bobs51.

My post #9 above with 'no problem' was relative to vapour lock ONLY or any symptoms of vapor lock ONLY.

The ethanol gas has caused problems in nearly all of the engines either swollen float needle tips in several engines and hardening of the diaghrams in the small engines. BUT NO vapor lock.

The small engines such as chain saws should not need a new carb. Just buy the rebuild kit (historically about $15) and rebuild the carb. They are real ez to rebuild. Actualy just replace the diaghrams and needle.

The biggest problems i've ran into are the "rubber" tipped float needles. The ethanol will swell them causing float to drop about 1/3 to 1/2 thus a very lean condition under heavy load.

Some "rubber" tipped needles (Viton) supposedly do not swell in ethanol. The problem is how does one look at the needle to determine if it is viton or not????? It takes a bout 6 months for the ethanol to swell the needle. Not many people are willing to test a needle in a jar of gas for 6 months to determine if it is viton or not.

Arguments for Viton or no viton, swelling in ethanol or no swelling in ethanol is out of perspective. What gas formulations 2 years from now will affect the viton or ANY other 'rubber' tipped needle????? THAT"S the question.

THerefore, use only solid tipped needles.

It's just that plain and simple. The problem is finding such solid tipped needles anymore.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 15:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
My post #9 above with 'no problem' was relative to vapour lock ONLY or any symptoms of vapor lock ONLY.

I misunderstood. As to rebuilding small engine carburetors I did put a kit in one of the small engine carbs to no avail. Still wouldn't run right. Found that most of the carbs for small motors can be replaced for around $50.00. So far they are running like new again.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 18:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved