Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 199

Aiden, BDeB, Joe, CCR, Ram, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hello.

I have now read Ross` "How to rebuild the BTV", and are ready to start rebuilding my BTV.
Can anybody tell me what "Lubriplate" is/or its equivalent(s), if any. I`m not able to find the product "Lubriplate" here in Norway.
Has anyone any experience using vacuum pump oil to lube the power pump wick and leather?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/10 7:53
 Top  Print   

Re: BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You can use baby oil as the lubricant for the leather seal and wick. The shop manual calls for mineral oil and if you look at the ingredient label on baby oil guess what? Mineral oil.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Lubriplate is a "white grease". Historically available at General Motors dealers that i know of for many decades. Not sure if it still is available at GM dealers or not because i've had enuf to last for the last 10 years. Internationaly maybe try some GM COMMERCIAL equipment dealer such as GM truck dealers or maybe some other commercial equipment dealers. Available in small cans (1 pound i think it is) an all the way up to 5 gallon cans full. Mite be available thru other sources too.

It is expensive.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 9:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Search eBay "lubriplate". There is plenty there. There is a variety of lubriplate formulas. If in doubt, be sure to get the lubriplate suitable for wheel bearings. I have one can here that is "Auto-Lube A" formula for door hinges, latches, etc but does not indicate wheel bearings on the cans description.

Go look at eBay to see if u can't find it localy. Just have to determine which type u want.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 9:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, Lubriplate was a staple in many shops for decades - a wonderful product that is more than merely white grease.

It used to be widely available in cans at parts stores, but mass-market merchants now only wanna carry tiny little tubes.

Some GM dealers still carry the original Lubriplate grease in 14 oz. cans, but with GM labelling (P/N 1052196); they have to order by the case. GM also showed an aerosol version in their chemical catalog, but I prefer the original "brush-on" type.

WRT to lubricating the leather packing and wick, I've used air tool oil with no problem.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rocky46, no experience with the BTV but my 34 Eight has a vacuum power brake system and I've used vacuum pump oil for the booster cylinder lubrication with complete success, 45+ years and about 45,000 miles of my ownership and it's never needed attention other than occasional lubrication. The particular brand I use is Mobil. I've also used it in the Trico vacuum wiper motors.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thank you all.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/11 4:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved