Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 94

Aiden, JD in KC, Todd W. White, Ozstatman, 39Rollson, Diablo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Relay?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not an R-6 or R-9 relay either. They had 6 terminal contacts.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely not R9. Don't have all R6 schematics so maybe there is another version. What I can find of the early R6 shows what appears to be more like a horn relay--3 terminals with no fuse. Later version appears to have 4 terminals but again no fuse. It looks like the 4th terminal is a separate power from ign sw to one side of relay coil in that version.

Does the one in question need a ground or a voltage to bring in the coil. The R6 OD relay looks like it needs a ground and the lack of a fuse anywhere on the unit is surprising -- although wouldn't be the first time Packard skimped on one -- If it does fit the function, maybe that relay with fuse was an after the fact replacement.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 10:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
Needs voltage to pull the points together.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 11:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

saltydog wrote:
Needs voltage to pull the points together.

Then I think it's back to 53-4 AC relay as best possibility so far. Not that many relays used & have eliminated horn and OD. What's left? If AC, not sure there will be a picture available showing one to confirm as I believe relay was installed under dash. I think Dwight H. has a factory AC car but anyone else have one that could confirm?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
From an old Delco catalog it looks like a headlight relay that was supplied for aftermarket applications and includes an integral 30 amp fuse.

The Delco part number is 1116789 and most Delco relays had the last 3 digits of the part number stamped on the mounting bracket.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 15:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That makes sense, it is very similar in appearance to Echlin's 6-volt HR200 aftermarket headlight relay as pictured in their April 1965 catalog.

What raises my curiousity is that headlights were normally protected by a thermal overload switch (self-reseting circuit breaker) to allow some lighting even with a short. In the case of this relay a 30-amp fuse is much too large for protecting the relay winding so it must be there to protect the load, but for headlights a thermal breaker would have been superior. Packard used thermal breakers on headlights way back, my 34 has that feature and I doubt it was innovative at that time.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 15:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any pictures or info on wiring of the headlight relay. O_D brings up a good point and I'm curious what the second terminal off the fuse was to be used for in the headlight version. Wonder if they used a headlight relay for the AC. All the relay terminals are accounted for in that setup.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 15:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
BINGO That's the id I was looking for Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved