Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 ... 72 »

Re: 51Packard's....51 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I think those new ones look pretty good.

BTW, in my feeble attempts at TIG welding, which is the only kind I've tried, I discovered that one of my problems was interference from air, such as wind or a fan. I found out that you can't TIG weld with a fan on! I don't know if it's the same with MIG, but they both use gas to shield the arc, so maybe it's something to consider.

Keep up the good work- your engine looks so nice it inspired me to wire brush and paint mine. Check my blog for the before and after shots.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 21:21
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Joeyearl, your car is looking great! I do have issues with the gas because the regulator is not working. I upped it a little last time and it seems to have helped. Wind has not been too much of an issue yet. When it's windy right now, it's too cold to get much work done on the car.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 20:44
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
4-12-12

Rust repair is on hold for now while I compile my "wish list" for Lynn. I'm going with his rockers after he showed me pics of the underside of his car. He should be able to cut the bent areas of the bracing and get me the body mount areas that are long gone on my car.

Today I just puttered with the car. Mostly looking over wiring and attaching some stuff. Looks like my ground wire to the regulator is too short as well as the cables going to the starter so I will have to fix that.

I bent up a new line going from the fuel pump to the wipers previously, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to screw in. I'm pretty sure I checked the fit when I bought the line. Maybe I'm forgetting a fitting. Since I was having trouble using the new line, I decided that instead of making all new lines elsewhere, I will just media blast and paint the old ones. I can always change them later since they are pretty easy to get at.

Looked at my belt alignment situation again. When I remove the belt from the water pump, the crankshaft pulley and generator pulley are perfectly aligned. The water pump is the one that is off. The pump is tight against the block and I previously took the pulley off and made sure it was bottoming out on the water pump. Looks to be 1/2 the thickness of the belt too far forward.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 20:54
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
Hey man, here a bad pic of that filler panel on the rear of the car.I will take the bumper off when it stops raining here, and take a better pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.75 KB)
4416_4f886e04740eb.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/4/13 13:19
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks to Doc's picture, I am buying the filler panel as well.

Took off the fan and pulley on the water pump again. Cannot for the life of me figure out why the belt is off center. All I did was remove the water pump and replace the engine to water pump gasket. I didn't even take the pump apart. I do not recall hitting the pulley or anything to get it off. What is going on????? Should I hit the front of the pump with a rubber mallet?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 20:10
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It should be a pretty thin gasket. Did you use a thick one?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 22:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

Took off the fan and pulley on the water pump again. Cannot for the life of me figure out why the belt is off center. All I did was remove the water pump and replace the engine to water pump gasket. I didn't even take the pump apart. I do not recall hitting the pulley or anything to get it off. What is going on????? Should I hit the front of the pump with a rubber mallet?

Don't I remember you getting a water pump from a junkyard? If you changed the pump, maybe you have one that is from a different application... that could explain why it doesn't line up.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 22:18
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Is the pulley drawing down completely on the hub (flange)? If you have the same water pump as before, did you use a different pulley... or if you didn't have it running before now, maybe the pump or pulley is the wrong one for your application, and you are just noticing it now. If it was running, you may not have noticed that it was off, and didn't drive it enough to sling a belt.

It doesn't make sense unless some part is the wrong one for your engine. Pump, shaft hub, or pulley. Doesn't sound like the generator or bracket is off because it lines up with the crank pulley.

If the pump was rebuilt, it could be that the hub wasn't pressed far enough onto the shaft- there should be about 1/4" of shaft sticking out of the end of the hub. Or the hub could be installed backwards.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 22:29
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
51Packards, Looking at your post #113 jpg 161.52 it looks to me as if the water pump was not lined up before you removed it. I am no expert on 51 Packards but your water pump looks the same as ones used on 48-50 engines. I have several old pumps that I removed from 8 cyl engines and they all have about 3/8 inch of the shaft sticking out past the front edge of the water pump hub. Maybe your pump never had the hub pressed on far enough by the previous owner. It looks like your shaft is flush with the front edge of the hub. A new gasket and paint would not be near enough to cause them to be that far out of alignment. Just my obversation and thoughts. Hang in there and you will get it figured out. I think you are doing a remarkable job on your 51 Packard.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Great eye packardtaximan! A little further in my blog is another pic that seems to show it out of alignment. I cannot believe that I did not notice that before. Even though the belt is just hanging there, it seems like it was out of whack from the get go.

Attach file:

jpg  (143.29 KB)
508_4f90093fb76a6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/19 7:47
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved