Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: seat back
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Howard, what do you suppose would happen to the magnetic strips on my credit cards if I rode in your car with the rare earth magnets in the seats?

I don't know for sure and have been giving that some thought. The magnets I'm considering have the field concentrated at the ends and are supposed to have a very low spill to the sides. The strength does diminish with distance so that's a help.

They will be enclosed in the aluminum hinge which should shield some. Since these magnets are somewhat brittle, am also thinking of supporting them and shielding more by sliding them into a stainless steel tube. All I need is for them to attract end to end.

Hoping the magnets work but if leakage turns out to be a problem, guess I could probably come up with a few of the caution signs we used to hang on the MRI suite doors. Black and yellow might clash with my car though. Could have a wallet safe box hanging on the outside of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.32 KB)
209_506c893595443.jpg 156X147 px

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, Funny. Make sure the wallet outside storage box will also hold watches, and cell phones too?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/4 11:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For anyone interested, magnets worked reasonably well. Lots of strength in some of the rare earth jobs if two are used together. Downside is they are brittle & needed extra structural and mount protection. Just placing one in the existing cushion hole was a no go. Since I had to make a support anyway plus the mu metal shielding that would be needed to try and minimize any stray field, decided to go a different way. With the new direction, I also wouldn't need to hang a magsafe box on the outside.

Since I didn't find the exact size of the original catch or want to buy a multitude if I could have found them, made my own. Slightly different configuration as you see but does the job. Only have one catch on now but working on another as the back is heavy and will need it. Will also use a urethane material to cast new cushions with a different center to accommodate the new configuration and space available.

Like all my mods, rest assured that other than two discreet hidden holes, no Packards were harmed. By removing the catch & pin and replacing the original bumper, no one will know.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.90 KB)
209_5093f978b8a97.jpg 640X550 px

jpg  (33.88 KB)
209_5093f9888936e.jpg 640X616 px

Posted on: 2012/11/2 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved