Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: DOT 5 issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Molecular biologist, wow, that must have been very interesting. I was a research chemist and later Director of Research for Olin Corporation. In the current case we need to distinguish between silicon acting as a metal in a silicon wafer, from silicones, organic substances.

Dave,

Yes, it was interesting. I was actually a molecular evolutionary biologist, using DNA, RNA and other biological polymers to look at evolutionary history and the processes that influence molecular evolution.

I realize silicas and silicone are different, which is why my thinking wasn't too bright .

I am assuming that DOT 5 contains polysiloxanes, yes? Maybe in the form of -SiO-R where R is some sort of organic group like an acetate? I am also assuming that the R is hydrophobic? If so, a strong amphiphillic detergent might also work and be safer than stuff like xylene. We used to wash silane off of glass plates using Alconox. Silane is obviously different, but similar in being a silicon compound that is very slippery and water insoluble.

Just exploring ways to reduce the use of nasty organic solvents.

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/10 17:52
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I really don't know what type of molecular structures are used to formulate DOT 5, seems like an interesting little sideline project for us to explore. But it surely is hydrophobic.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Hey PackardV8,

What other website will give you a $1,500 consult on your 10 word question? Especially, at these prices!

Big Kev wins the Concise Trophy (2 words = 'brake cleaner').

Thanks guys.

:) Dan

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:00
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Chemistry was never one of my strong points. And besides, what little i know of Chemisrty is long before the time of Owen and Roadsta.

As for Big Kev's recommendation about the Brake Cleaner i really don't know. I've never used anything specifacaly formulated for cleaning brakes. My guess is that there are 2 different Brake Cleaners since there is the hygrascopic dot 3 and hydraphobic dot 5 ?????

In the past i have cleaned (DOT 3 system) brakes with gasoline or laquer thinner with excellent results.

I'll try Owens recommendation for Acteone in this DOT 5 situation i have.

BUT, it still raises the question: Why didn't the laquer thinner clean it if laquer thinner contains acetone???

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As far as I know there is only one type of brake cleaner found at parts store. It comes in a spray can and costs about $3. It's basically just a really good degreaser. I use it on everything.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, but there is a problem with silicone vs petrol or other based products.

For DOT 3 systems just use some gasoline or paint thinner. It's cheap and plentiful. SOME so called experts will throw a fit over the rcommendation of cleaning greasy brake linings with gasoline or thinner. I've done it so many times and actualy drove the vehicles myself many miles at high speed with excellent results and no failures.

My guess is that your Brake Cleaner in a bottle proabably has an alcohol, gasoline or Carbontetrachloride smell to it????? It has a reddish-brown hue to it???

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OR, maybe i should have asked if the Brake Cleaner in a bottle specically states for use on DOT 5 and/or DOT3 or denies effectiveness on DOT5??? Maybe it's only good for cleaning away gerease???? I don't know. What i am trying to clean is DOT 5 brake fluid from parts. Not grease.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is the MSDS on the CRC Brakcleen brand brake cleaner that I buy from Autozone:

http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/(MSDS)/5089%20Brakleen%202007/$FILE/MSDS.pdf

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I looked some stuff up, and if anyone wants to try it without using brake cleaner (acetone, naptha and propane) Alconox should work great and will be non-toxic.

I'd try it on my car, but I can't find where they brake fluid is kept.

Tom

p.s. The silicone is polymethylsiloxane.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 7:43
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe that alcohol (methy, ethyl or ispropyl) is the accepted solvent for cleaning DOT 3 (and presumably DOT 4 which is similar) brake fluid residues from hydraulic parts. I also seem to remember when converting a car to DOT 5 years back that alcohol was the recommended solvent to flush the steel lines and cylinders (all rubber parts replaced). Like others I had good success using gasoline to clean grease from contaminated brake linings, but never had much luck cleaning and putting brake shoes back into service that had become saturated with brake fluid, no matter what they were cleaned with. Nowadays with a few more $ in my pocket I wouldn't even consider it, new shoes are relatively inexpensive.

Back to PackardV8's question about lacquer thinner and acetone, I don't have formulation info in front of me for lacquer thinner but I think the major components are a chemical class known as esters (like methyl or ethyl acetate), not ketones (like acetone or MEK).

Posted on: 2008/6/11 8:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved