Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 1948 Deluxe rear window
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Very hard to see down in the hole with the door locked and the window up. Is the pushbutton rod just a few inches long. Must be when I raised the window frame as I attempted to remove it, the rod fell. Should have tied a string to it. A picture or drawing would help Thanks

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rod is short --maybe 3 or 4 inches and probably just hanging down. Best I can do for a picture right now is this out of parts book.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.36 KB)
209_515783eaa9b0d.jpg 309X392 px

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks Howard - Like my friend used to say - its not the end of the world !

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I looked at my 47 and that part of the mechanism appears to be identical to that shown in parts manual for the 48. I don't see how the rod can fall down. Is it perhaps stuck or caught on the lip of the window frame and that's why you don't see it. If it came out of the pivot hole and fell to the bottom, perhaps you could bend a piece of stiff wire and get under the lever to pull the mechanism.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.94 KB)
209_515788db18b9f.jpg 640X377 px

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I agree with you - Maybe Im missing something - I will look again tomorrow Thanks

Posted on: 2013/3/31 2:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Well - I finally got the door open. You were right Howard - The rod was wedged under the window frame - I made a hook out of coat hanger, hooked it and pulled. It would not bulge . So, I had to bend the hole upwards a little , screwed the knob back on and released the lock. If I had got the frame off first, this would not have happened. Whew - Now, I can see why the window won't roll. I have all the screws out of the frame. Is there something at the upper rear holding the frame ? Also, do I first remove the window regulator ? Handle just spins Thanks

Posted on: 2013/3/31 16:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you're talking about the woodgrained trim frame removal?? If so, then once the screws are out of the frame and the small vertical bar between the vent and regular window is off, the frame may still be held by some small clips strategically placed. Perhaps the rubber around the vent window as well. You will have to gently push and twist in various directions and at the same time slightly ease the frame out away from door a bit at a time.

Once frame is off, remove the door and window handles by pressing the plastic bezel in hard against the springs behind the panel. You will see a 1/8 dia pin thru the handle located on the side. Using a long punch or stiff wire push the pins holding the handles to their shafts out. Pins should come out fairly easily but also may have some corrosion and need to be coaxed. You will have to keep the bezels pushed in against the spring tightly while you do it.

Once those are off check for any screws on the bottom of arm rests. If any are found, it's hard to say if they need to come out. Some go thru to door metal and others just to a reinforcing plate on panel. Each panel is a bit different as to how the arm rest fastens so just remember them if the panel won't lift and come off after the edge clips are free. Using a stiff putty knife or similar locate the clips every 6-8 inches around the door panel and pry to pull retaining clips out of the holes in the door metal. Be careful to have the tool as near to each clip as possible when prying them out so as not to tear the brittle old panelboard material. Once that panel is off you should see the window regulator and can go from there.

The 46-50 SM has a procedure in the body section on how to remove the regulator. There should be some clips holding the mechanism to the glass bottom channel. With the window not lowering so as to get the clips in an easy location, it will take a bit of work to remove them and keep the glass from falling at the same time.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 18:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks - I had no trouble removing the door and window handles. Want to remove the window frame if I can. My car (1948 Touring Sedan 2262 ) does not have arm rests on the back doors , only on the front doors. The back arm rests extend outward from the back cushion. The entire interior has been redone. I will have to remove the regulator as I dont see any movement of the gears.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have a 48 so not entirely sure how similar the frames are to 47 but think they are very close. What directions say to do is push frame down and pull out to clear the frame top from door and then lift off lock rod. What I can see on the 47 is the frame has to push down rather hard at the top while at the same time you are pulling out to release the stamped edge of the frame next to window from a sort of lip stamped into the door metal. It might even take gentle persuasion with a padded implement to help pry down. Once part of the frame is free it is a matter of walking around the entire frame pushing the frame down or in and away from door stamping while pulling out. The vent window rubber on mine is rock hard and that has to flex a bit as well to let the frame drop or move. If yours is hard it could also be part of the problem.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 19:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Two questions - I. How to remove the inside lock knob for the rear wing window . This might make it easier to remove the window frame. 2. Since I cannot lower the window to remove the hairpin type retainers , if I remove the screws holding the regulator , will the regulator and window drop to the bottom of the door ?

Posted on: 2013/4/1 19:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved