Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 198

humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, Ozstatman, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Historic Vehicle Assoc. E-News
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Stephen wrote:
Several years ago I talked to a SS Panzer commander. German nickname for Sherman was "Ronson or Ronson Lighter". My father's older brother, a Sherman radio operator, survived three of them. Earned Oak Leaf Cluster on Bronze Star w/V device during the Bulge.

Stephen, I believe the heavy German tanks were diesel powered whereas the Shermans used gasoline. This was the case with motor torpedo boats too. The Packard marine engines used 100 octane gas and the German boats were powered by diesel engines. Gasoline burns easier than diesel.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/15 12:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
[quote]

Stephen, I believe the heavy German tanks were diesel powered whereas the Shermans used gasoline. This was the case with motor torpedo boats too. The Packard marine engines used 100 octane gas and the German boats were powered by diesel engines. Gasoline burns easier than diesel.

(o{}o)

JW

I agree on gasoline v diesel fuel flammability. I remember my uncle saying that early production Shermans had dry ammunition storage compared to German wet storage. Panzer guy said same thing. Most early interior hull fires were ammunition ignition. Also very little room in back of turret for gun recoil. My uncle remembered a loader getting his head crushed when he didn't get his head out of the way when the gun was fired.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:37
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Sherman tank = death trap

Posted on: 2013/5/15 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Simple fact of the matter is they were produced in huge numbers, were mechanically simple and reliable. We produced so many that most US infantry units had more tanks than German Panzer units. We simply overwhelmed them-something we could never do today as we have become a third world industrial power. Today it would be the industrial powers of Germany and Japan.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Not that I'm much of a war buff. Nobody writes about vehicle maintenance on the battlefield, but imagine towing those things and repairing them in the middle of a tank war with shells landing all around while the muscle heads stand around smoking.

I guess the reports on the Sherman were both positive and negative. However, most tank knock outs were not tank to tank but tank to anti-tank. The Nazis had some pretty good anti-tank weapons and the poor Sherman crews were dead meat.
I'd much rather be infantry then waiting for death in one of those Shermans.

I totally agree that the USA is becoming a second rate country, unfortunately because it has become so corrupt. The old War Department said "that's what happens when a nation (Germany) hands its government over to criminals and lunatics." Perhaps that's what we are going to end up with someday.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
"criminals and lunatics".Yes.That appears to define the U.S. Congress.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 5:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Now, Now, didn't they come together recently to resolve the air traffic controller strike?....

Right before they adjorned for vacation.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 7:55
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved