Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 76

Jimmyk, jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Anyone built a '47-54 engine lately?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I seem to recall that when installing new hydraulic lifters you were supposed to soak them in oil overnight, or put them in a container of oil and heat it on the stove for a few hours. This was supposed to fill them with oil and they would start working right away.

Might be worth trying next time.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 8:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross probably has better advice as he's been thru this a lot more than I have, but I've changed perhaps 3 or 4 sets of hydraulic lifters on 47-54 engines and never soaked them in oil. After checking the lifter-to-stem length and adjusting as needed, I just filled the cam follower with a couple of squirts of oil from an oil can before inserting the hydraulic portion. Of course that which was in excess just squirted out but the lifters were silent almost immediately on first start-up and never had any issues thereafter. Of course you could also remove the plunger and put a little oil directly in the lifter itself. I don't think simple soaking would ever get any oil past the ball check but could be wrong.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would definitely repolarize the generator as that is one of the first steps manuals say to do after changing the regulator or working in the charging circuit. Even if nothing was changed, doing it after a car sits a long time and then is brought back into service wouldn't hurt.

Once other question might be the regulator. I know there are regulators for pos and neg ground but not entirely sure what the difference in construction is. I believe it is mostly in the contacts but still there is a difference. That is something Jason might be able to shed a light on.

In your case, unless the replacement was exactly the same number, several on the forum have had issues with the wrong polarity regulator for the car or even some "universal" regulators causing problems.

Posted on: 2013/12/21 10:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved