Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: fransmission fluid spewing ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps someone does have an accurate number for converter capacity. Would be nice to know. If 7qts goes in initially, then allowing for enough to stay in pan to keep the amount above pickup level, I would think the converter might hold 4-5.

Original units had a converter check valve to prevent drain back but that was eliminated early on. In various articles starting with bulletin 50T-61, on cars with the valve removed Packard cautioned when checking fluid level to have the engine idle when checking or if engine was turned off, to check within one minute of shutdown.

I would imagine the fluid would slowly drain at least to the level of the lowest converter opening. Roughly half could drain out to maybe the lower side of the pump shaft or highest case passage - maybe 2 qts.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 10:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: fransmission fluid spewing ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Casey:

Normally when they sit the fluid level rises to pretty close to the top of the filler. Enough to feel it with your finger.

On the dipstick there is a range for the level. The manual does not specify a cold level, only a level after running for a minute. That's pretty vague. When the temperature is below zero the transmission oil in my modern car is well below the hot range and I leave it like that. So if the level in your car is at the bottom of the full range when cold that should be fine.

Making a trap door for the dipstick won't work because the gas pedal is directly above the filler. You can buy a pump to add measured amounts from McMaster Carr, NAPA, or whatever. Add fluid in half pint increments.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 17:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved