Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 68

56Clippers, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard info for a novice please
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Prewar systems were complicated with several solenoids, switches and relays to contend with. Postwar was much simpler but still one had to understand the operation to adjust it properly.

I completely forgot about that. The essential differences were covered in a 1946 issue of the service newsletter, SC Vol. 22, No. 12 (p. 46). Later, an updated Serviceman's Training Booklet on Clutch and Electromatic Clutch was published.

While electricals were streamlined a bit from 41 to 42, the postwar version appears to be greatly simplified. This second generation system is clearly easier to adjust with a control valve mounted, remotely, up high on the engine, but the internals looks a bit more complicated - perhaps more sensitive to wear and adjustment.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hi Ross, the Hudson with the 455:1 has the 6 cyl. 308 with twin carbs, it will put you back in the seat pretty well. The mileage is bad, driving it easy on the highway it gets about 12 mpg. I don't have a tach in that car I can tell the rpm's are up there at highway speed, much higher than the cars with the 411:1.
I can understand that with a 354:1 you wouldn't need O/D. Your 50 Commander has what size engine?
I am learning more and more from you guys and appreciate all your help. Thanks, Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The Commander has a 245 with a whopping 4 3/4 stroke. Very smooth, very quiet and lots of low speed torque.

Sure flathead sixes were already "old technology" by 1950, but all of those engines were very highly refined by then and provided great long-lived drivability, if not scintillating performance. That was true from Chryslers, KF, Studies and all the others. I find each of them a pleasure to drive in their own way.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Ross, as you know, I'm new to the Packard line and hadn't heard of a Packard Commander so I googled it and found a Studebaker. Now I am following you. I love the old flatheads, simple and easy to work on. I've found that the flatheads are very dependable. All my old cars are still 6 volts and when we had days of 9 degrees this winter every one started just fine. Two of them stay outside.
Thanks for your comment Ross. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 21:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved