Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1928 Packard 6cylinder
Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
Well there is one odd looking coil under the dash mounted on the back side of the firewall. The coil has two coil wires mounted on posts on the side of the coil, one goes to the center of the distributor cap and the other goes to a spark plug, that is kind of in the top of the carburetor. Can you tell me what that spark plug is for??? I tried cleaning the points to no avail, I don't suppose there is any way to test that coil? Can you even buy a coil like that??

Posted on: 2015/6/3 10:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Coil tests are at best of doubtful reliability. No, I doubt you can find a new coil and even if you did I'd have reservations about it's utility after all these years. But you can either have a new one made from scratch, or do as others have done and just hide a modern coil under the dash. The device near the carburetor is the "fuelizer" which was needed in the era of poor gasoline quality (low volatility) and is best just disabled with today's fuels.

I think you time would be well-spent reading up on these cars a bit.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Who makes coils?
Thanks

Posted on: 2015/6/3 11:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
Thanks Again! I have tried do do some reading in the manuals and service manuals that are available but haven't found all that much. That's why I appreciate your help!!! The distributor cap and rotor look worn too? Are points, condenser, cap and rotor still available anywhere that you know of??

Posted on: 2015/6/3 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
If you don't find them in the Parts X-ref section then Max Merritt and Kanters would have them.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Who makes coils?

Jason at AER has a contact who can rewind some coils, depending on the construction of the canister. Bob Connolle offers the 33-34 Northeast units for Eights and Super Eights by fitting some modern coil (I've been told it's a Lycoming aircraft engine coil) into a reproduction canister; others have made similar offerings over the years by repacking modern coils into vintage canisters. There is also this place in Australia offering the service, and there is another similar outfit in England:

http://antiqueautoelectrics.com.au/Coil_Rewinding.php

Posted on: 2015/6/3 14:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
I checked with Kanter and no luck on the coil. I took the old coil off last night and found that it was wired wrong, in that the fuel terminal was wired to the engine and the engine terminal was wired to the distributor? Would that be a problem? I presume they were labeled for a reason?? Anyone care to enlighten me on this? Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2015/6/4 10:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
I said that wrong, the fuel terminal went to the distributor and the engine terminal was wired to the the fuel ignitor?

Posted on: 2015/6/4 12:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved