Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 359 Spark Plug Threads Stripped
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I've been using Permatex anti-seize for years on most of my threaded connections, both automotive and non-automotive without a problem. They specifically recommend it for spark plug threads; that's printed right on the jar. I recall reading or hearing somewhere that anti-seize won't affect torque settings either. I put it on the 359's spark plugs when I replaced them in 2006. It was still visible on the other plugs I pulled. I don't know why it seemed to fail with that insert or what caused the insert to split open in the second thread groove; neither the plug nor the insert was cross-threaded.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 11:49
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 359 Spark Plug Threads Stripped
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
GM specifically advises against using anti-seize because the plugs run deeper into the head before achieving torque. After long usage the carbon build up on the exposed threads will lock and tear the threads out of the cylinder head upon removal.

So I would use anti-seize only when specified by the manufacturer.

Most of the Packard 12s with aluminum heads have been converted to larger plugs that won't break off in the head.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 17:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved