Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

BigKev, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: St. Joseph, Michigan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the page two. What is the date of the dealer listing?

Did I not note previously that it's undated? Sorry if I forgot that detail but I believe it's from just pre-war, perhaps 1939 or 1940.

Glad you've got a correct patent plate, and unfortunate the selling dealer didn't stamp his name, one sees this all too often. Though my 34 Eight is stamped and the car was sold by a factory branch (Packard - Brooklyn NY), they got it a bit wrong -- they stamped the dealer name where the date belongs and the date where the dealer name belongs. Perhaps stamping the plates was delegated to the lower echelon employees like the guy who washed the car before delivery? Also note the hole in it which I patched years back - some klutz drilled a hole from the inside for a hot water heater mounting bolt, despite the fact that the car already had a Kelch hot air heater, a far superior heater in the days of methanol antifreeze and low temperature thermostats. The heat exchanger itself was apparently made of some low-grade stainless like Monel so I doubt that monoxide leakage was really a factor but the hot water heaters gradually took over, the last year for the Kelch was 1939. Apologies for digressing.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.34 KB)
177_48f766c329e50.jpg 920X635 px

Posted on: 2008/10/16 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D,

The date of delivery (Dec 24 1936) on the patent plate of my '37 Six looks to have been stamped by the dealer, but the dealer's name and city looks to have been stamped at a later date. Different stamps were used. Maybe the prevailing practice was to just to stamp the date? As I mentioned earlier, the '47 only has the date stamped. I imagine it varied by dealer, some did and others did not stamp their name. I wonder what other owners have on their cars' plates?

Posted on: 2008/10/16 17:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
clipper47, I took your suggestion and wrote a letter to the editor at the local newspaper. Maybe I will be a lucky as you were. We'll see . . .

Posted on: 2008/10/17 11:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
JW, Good luck with the letter.Let us know if anything interesting is received. My 2 '47's have both the dealer name and delivery date stamped on the data plate. The Super is "Wright Motors, Winnipeg" and the Custom is "Joy Motors, Minneapolis".

Posted on: 2008/10/17 11:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved