Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Opinions of radials on late 30's and 40's Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the main advantage of the radial tire (in the absence of a race track) is tread life. However, the old Martin Custom tires would give radials a challenge in that regard.

The advantage of sticking with bias ply on those old cars is using the specified tire pressures which are soft. These radial tire companies are specifying 50% higher and at least one 80% higher tire pressures. That puts significantly increased shock loading on the frame and suspension.

I was running 10% lower tire pressures on my modern car because the roads in Michigan are so abominable. I developed a low speed shimmy which was reduced 90% by raising to the specified pressure on the door card. Now I hear new rattles I didn't have before. This state is destroying my car. It's like having a $2000 annual sucker's tax. I attribute the shimmy to the tires being almost five years old, so I don't see any advantage in longer tread life if the car doesn't get driven high annual mileage. Supposedly modern tire rubber deteriorates faster than in the old days to reduce pollution.

Thus, for Packards I would use bias ply tires.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 18:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinions of radials on late 30's and 40's Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Time, Are not all modern tires made of the same rubber compounds? If so, it would not matter in regards to tire life if the construction is radial or bias type. Correct?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/9/12 21:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved