Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1932 std 8 runing hot
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if the holes in the water jacket plate and the tapped holes in the block allow the plate to be put on incorrectly end for end, or not. But if it's possible to do so, the slot in the inner plate baffle that allows the water to enter would be at the wrong end, resulting in little or no water circulation in the block. Can you see the coolant in the radiator fill neck well enough to see if there is circulation coming from the block?

Posted on: 2016/11/7 9:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1932 std 8 runing hot
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
I agree with Owen's question as to radiators...

Just what is a "new radiator" ? Sure, if you spend enough money, of course a properly engineered modern radiator core will give you as much, if not much much more than the original.

And again, as originally engineered, ALL Packard products had more-than-adequate cooling, even under the most extreme conditions. Be assured, folks, Packard did not have its incredible reputation by making cars that would overheat !

But - what are the responsibilities of the typical restorer these days ?

Let me give you an example. I was in a very well-known reputable restoration shop some years back - was being shown around at the incredibly accurate work being done. I just happened to fiddle with the steering wheel, and commented the steering was worn so sloppy, I wouldn't drive it on a public street. The owner of the restoration shop explained that he was restoring the car for a prominent exhibitor who knew exactly what he wanted. As the owner of the shop explained, it would have been financially irresponsible, if not worse, to charge the car's owner to do a full "condition on delivery day" mechanical restoration. The car was never going to see a public street, much less actually be driven. So why throw money away for nothing ?

The problem raised by this "thread" isn't new. There are fewer and fewer of us each year who actually know what the word "Packard" meant, and how the word got that way.

As others have noted in here - when is the last time you saw a Senior "pre-war" Packard go by....? Good point.

B U T

...for those of you who live in Los Angeles....this coming Sunday...around 9:00 am....stand at the corner of Mullholland Drive and Topanga Canyon Blvd....be sure your "trigger finger" on your camera is ready....several will be going by...THAT fast....!

And if you miss em there, hurry down to the Pacific Coast Highway, say around 11:30, anyplace between the Ghetty Villa museum and the Jonathan Club....

AND NONE OF THEM WILL OVER-HEAT !

Posted on: 2016/11/7 11:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved