Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Missing, dead cylinder
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I had the exact same problem. It seems to me that there should be an easier way to guard against a head that has been decked into uselessness.
The clay test is a bit of a pain. Does anyone have an no's head or an undecked one they can mic? I'll measure mine and put it on here. This would give at least some guidance as to how close the head is to uselessness. For example, if the head is supposed to be 1.5 inches thick, and a 1.4 works, then we know that a bad one is something less than 1.4. Over time, we can determine a thickness that is closer to head ruination. I think it's worth the effort, as there are a lot of posts about blown head gaskets.

Posted on: 2018/11/14 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There are too many variables involved than simple measuring the head thickness. For example, if newer thicker valves, there would be less clearance than valves that have been ground a couple times, especially if the seats have been ground too. Then there's cam lift which I believe differs between solid and hydraulic lifters and also just the basic shape of the combustion chamber may have variances from head to head. The best you could get by measuring the head thickness is that it MIGHT clear but not that it will.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 16:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Good points all, but doesn't that make head thickness a better indicator? If I put a new cam and new solid lifters in (max valve height) and then put a skinny head on it, there is real danger of disaster. On the other hand, a skinny head on a used engine would probably not be a worry. Hydraulic lifter engines would of course between these two extremes. It would also make a difference in buying a head. I would think a skinny one would be worth less because of these potential problems.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 18:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Good points all, but doesn't that make head thickness a better indicator? If I put a new cam and new solid lifters in (max valve height) and then put a skinny head on it, there is real danger of disaster. On the other hand, a skinny head on a used engine would probably not be a worry. Hydraulic lifter engines would of course between these two extremes. It would also make a difference in buying a head. I would think a skinny one would be worth less because of these potential problems.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Direct measurements better than indirect. Using a depth gauge to measure the height of the combustion chamber over the valves is a direct measurement of what you want to know. Measure each chamber over the high point of the valve lift. Compare that to the height the highest valve lifts above the deck, factor in a compressed head gasket thickness and you should have your answer.

Attach file:

jpg  (180.28 KB)
177_5bee09e87c3a1.jpg 1485X1325 px

Posted on: 2018/11/15 18:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved