Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wondering out loud
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What Duesenberg are you talking about specifically? Do you have a link to that?

Posted on: 2022/7/18 14:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Wondering out loud
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Tim, i hear you re: the CCCA. Not knocking the club, had friends long in it, well understand why it was started and by whom, having met/known several of them long ago. My point is the CCCA is just another car club and since its earlier years has transmogrified to a silly, snooty, arbitrary organization of 2,500 members, unless you include "associate members," aka wives.

Because this club's foci include Duesenbergs, Packard Twelves, Cad V-16s and the rest of the parade floats, their judging guidelines, qualifying list, allied with a Pebble Beach not the same event it was in the '50s, have become final arbiters, keeping hundreds of thousands, millions of car buffs in second-tier obeyance so long they are no longer aware of their servitude.

Talk about Stockholm Syndrome:
We try to put this nonsense in historic perspective and someone accuses us of being "bitter," overlooking we've probably passed over --you certainly have -- more CCCA fare over the years than he's seen.

There's schizophrenic, Walter Mittyism in the CCCA. The by far biggest, ongoing thread on their site is one approaching 20,000 posts devoted to Mercedes 500/540Ks, while the darlings of the membership are '41 Cad convertibles sharing every piece of sheet metal with Pontiac with a so-so three-main-bearing V-8 and water pump out of 1930, but available with HydraMatic, allowing "classic" golf carts.

Ralph Stein wonderfully summed the above Teutonic CCCA dreamboat:
"They were fat and heavy (about 5,500 pounds) and vulgarly curvilinear. I thought at the time that if you had draped them with medals, they'd look like dear old Hermann Goering himself. If he'd had wheels."

This is why i brought up Michael Lamm. Maurice Hendry, Cliff Borgeson, L.J. K. Setright, Richard Hough could also write about ballyhooed barouches without the now mandatory bowing and scraping to thrice-told myth, malarkey.

Posted on: 2022/7/18 17:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved