Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Forgot to mention installed entire new brake kit..so all parts are new

Posted on: 2023/5/10 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Black plugs may indicate that the fuel mixture is too rich. A cold engine running at no load will allow deposits to build up quickly on plugs, especially if the mixture is too rich.

Some "smoke" at the oil filler after stopping the engine is normal. It should not have a strong gasoline odor. Your engine will probably benefit from being driven on the road at moderate speeds once you get the brakes, etc in order.

Getting the engine up to operating temperature by running it for an hour or more on the open road at 35-45 MPH may do it a lot of good. Carry an extra quart or two of oil and a couple of gallons of water. Watch the gauges for any sign of trouble. Be sure the ammeter shows some charge.

Concerning the blowby, your engine may have worn rings and bearings, or it may just have sticky, gunmmy rings from sitting unused. If the engine doesn't knock, I would not worry about the blowby at this time. It may diminish once the engine gets some normal run time.

Your brakes probably either still have some air trapped in the lines, or you may have a leak somewhere in the system that is allowing air in.

You need to follow the shop manual procedure for bleeding the brake system.

Posted on: 2023/5/10 8:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Great info..thanks….yes I only get the smoke after engine is shut off….I will take it for a good drive when brakes are squared away and report back! Thanks

Posted on: 2023/5/10 10:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Bled brakes twice and both times I lose pressure when starting engine..there is no booster so I don’t have any idea why the brakes would go to floor at ignition…I must be missing something… I cannot see any leaks at all.. maybe I can run some compressed air into line and try to see a possible leak but it must be tiny…no engine knocks at all…it runs nice …I do believe it is running rich..I’ll address that when I figure out brake issue,.thanks,

Posted on: 2023/5/10 15:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That's very odd behavior on the part of the brakes. Is there any chance that hot exhaust gas is reaching any part of the brake system?

With a non power brake system, I can't think of any other way the engine running or not could affect the brakes.

Have you adjusted all four brakes to spec? Are all the brake return springs in place? Are the brake drum diameters all within specification?

Posted on: 2023/5/10 15:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
No exhaust near brake issue…I just installed the new brake in the same fashion that old ones were in… it seemed pretty straightforward…. I’ll will check tomorrow…I need a break! Thanks

Posted on: 2023/5/10 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Where did you get the wheel cylinders?
Had a problem with cheapo Chinese reproduction when I did mine
All parts are not the same, there is a reason that some part are cheaper.

Posted on: 2023/5/10 18:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Got them at kanter

Posted on: 2023/5/11 10:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
I think I need to adjust brakes like u mentioned..have no leaks at all…I had no idea about the adjustment pin…or how to set rear brakes… I’m looking at adjusting pin now…it looks pretty rusted…I can pb blast big nut and loosen…but what tool to turn the slot to adjust….looks like huge straight tip screwdriver?

Posted on: 2023/5/11 10:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Pic

Attach file:

jpeg  00431847-1B0F-4AEA-80C7-D6B12BED4FA0.jpeg (203.11 KB)
191389_645d0a1a67859.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  C0B929E0-AC5D-4514-96FB-132234D8C3EA.jpeg (203.14 KB)
191389_645d0a3a4d628.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/5/11 10:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved