Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 207

humanpotatohybrid, JohnCB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Synthetic Transmission Fluid for Ultramatic
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
Thanks everyone!!

Posted on: 2023/6/12 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Have you made the change?
If so, how is it working for you and do you have a comparison to share?

Posted on: 2023/7/12 15:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

RKS
See User information
Hi I been using B&M Trick Shift in my 51 300 and so far no issues so I will continue to use it.

Posted on: 2023/7/18 8:15
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea if Trick Shift would fully fit the description of synthetic but when a former poster suggested using it some years ago, his description said overall it was very similar to type F which was the recommended replacement for the original and no longer available at the time type A the factory specified for use in Ultramatics.

Trick Shift was recommended because of its different additives from type F. At the time, Dexron was made for a smooth almost imperceptible shift in GM transmissions with their synthetic friction material. With the original cork clutch facings in an Ultramatic, it sometimes caused the cork clutches to slip too much when engaging and that allowed overheating as the clutches kept spinning as they tried to grab. Type F was extra grabby which the cork facings like unless they have gotten hard and glazed. The additives in Trick Shift do a commendable job of providing a decent grab while also doing a slight softening of the cork. That softening helps to quieten a noticeable and sometimes annoying noise that often happened when a direct drive clutch with a glazed cork facing had difficulty grabbing when going into direct drive. Reducing the noise was the original reason for the Trick Shift recommendation.

Unknown is if a partially rebuilt transmission which would only have some of the GM type linings would see benefits from Trick Shift. Most seem to do OK with ordinary F or in the case of full rebuilds, modern Dexron type fluids.

Posted on: 2023/7/18 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
I will get with you when I make the change, right now everything is on hold. I am having back surgery and have to put my car on standby right now. I will let you know when I get out of the procedure. I have been told a solid 6-weeks!

Posted on: 2023/7/24 16:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved