Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
272 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 267

packardsix1939, Jack Vines, kevinpackard, 37Blanche, Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1956 Power Booster Installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
HH56

The installation is not complete, perhaps thes pictures will give you a better idea of what I have done.
Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (137.42 KB)
1278_4a270f3ac8ff6.jpg 1087X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/6/3 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Now I am going to ask what may be a stupid question to some.
Could this kind of conversion be done to the 51 through 54 Packard's. This would be one modification that I would consider doing to my 53 when the times comes.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/6/3 19:11
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't see why not. I looked at the two '53 Clippers I had and it looks like it would be just as easy if not easier than the V8 cars. IIRC from my old '48, it would also work on the '48-'50 cars too.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 19:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
PackardV8,

Thanks for the tip on the rubber bushings. I overlooked that item. Bronze bushings are being machined as replacements. They will also be heavier. Your comments are appriceated.

Jerry

Posted on: 2009/6/4 4:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yesterday. look at the pedal pic of my set up above. I used 2wo SBC con-rod caps lined with fender welting or coal oil lamp wick and clamped to the mast jacket. A strap of 1/8 thick flat steel stock between the SBC caps and the pedal bracket.

Ought to be able to do the same thing with your set up.

That will get good support for ONE side of the pedal assembly.

NOTE: That cars equiped with Puss Button shift has a relay mounted to the fender and interfering with installation. So the relay will have to be moved as in my pic above.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 5:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
This may be a stupid question as well but, Is your install sitting above the steering column?

Posted on: 2009/6/4 9:46
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Brandon,

Yes, above and toward the fender.

Jerry

Posted on: 2009/6/4 11:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
PackardV8,

This is a photo of the bronze bushings for the pedal pivot. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (26.63 KB)
1278_4a27f1ab93b1d.jpg 750X495 px

Posted on: 2009/6/4 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
not sure, but it looks like the pedal mounts are much closer together than oem location. Probably won't have any trouble then with the cross shaft of the pedal bending.

The firewall is very weak. Probably need to add the supports as seen in my set up above. The RITE support holding the PB relay is just a dummy and i won't bore anyone with why it is there.

The left support bracket DOES stiffen up the conversion assymbly. It bolts to the firewall hinge bracket and to the hole in the following pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.15 KB)
35_4a28030be239e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/6/4 12:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Radio:

Tell us about the metering valve and proportioning valves.

They don't really look like a prop valveto me and the metering valve is usually BETWEEN the front calipers.

The metering valve between calipers is to slightly delay the caliper motion to allow pressure to build up enuf to over come the rear spring tension of drum brakes.

Here is the part that is hazy to me i mite not have all of it detailed just rite:

In some (BUT NOT ALL) dual cylinders the the secondary piston is spring loaded to the primary piston which means that the secondary (to the rear) can delay or reduce pressurea bit until a certain limit has been reached. But THis somewhat contradicts the metering valve issue.

MY POINT is that we need to come to grips with what is needed here in pressure control in order to fine tune the braking.

Even the original BTV on my car caused alot of nose dive on hard braking.

I'm not real sure what needs to be done for the fine tuning or valving yet. NONETHELESS my set up does just fine. I'm running drum on all 4our wheels and plan to remain with drum.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 12:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved